Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Acres Road Paving
(02-01-2022, 04:18 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: I'd like to see the projected cost of adopting the preferred plan shown at this link, namely paving only the lettered roads.  
Paved to standards similar to Fern Acres, for example.

Exactly. That's why I don't respond to those surveys, and why their results should be considered meaningless. Everybody wants wants wants. When you tell people what it's actually going to cost them, they tend to change their mind about how much they want-want-want it. Send out new surveys detailing how much it will actually cost everybody, then we'll see where the chips fall.
Note that HARC intends to claim "emergency", thereby activating HCC 12-15 "Petition by twenty percent of owners."

(a) If the owners of not less than twenty percent of the frontage upon any street, alley or highway designated by them or of twenty percent of the area of land designated by them as a proposed improvement district, file with the council a petition duly acknowledged by the owners requesting the construction of special improvements, together with the surveys, maps, plans and other preliminary data and estimates mentioned in section 12-10, the council may reject or accept the petition. If the council accepts the petition, it shall proceed in the manner hereinafter provided. The council shall act on the petition provided:
(1) The petition of twenty percent of the owners includes the signatures of at least fifty percent of the resident owners residing in the proposed improvement district; and
(2) A state of emergency is found to exist by the council that requires the formation of the improvement district.

Improvements "outside the improvement district boundaries" are allowable under HCC 12-4, so with an emergency and some gerrymandering, the LID could be approved by about 400 actual Hawaiian Acres residents.

There's a few other zingers in HCC 12 if anyone cares to read through it. Most likely outcome is huge legal bills and no road improvements.
Thanks for staying on top of this and updating, Kalakoa. Is there any way for a rando like me to keep up-to-date on this, if I am unable to attend HARC meetings?
Aloha Kid,

You can join the next HARC meeting Saturday, Feb. 12th at 2 pm via Zoom or in person at the Assembly of God Church, K-town.

https://harc4u.com