Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hwy 137/ Red Road widening?
Does anyone know what the work done on Highway 137/ the Red Road is about? In December, road crews spent about a month excavating along the makai side of the road and then filled in with crush gravel and compacted it. It is about 3-4' wide and several miles long. There were a few large trees in the way that they just left. Then they packed up and left. I was thinking they were prepping to widen or repave but I'm just guessing. It is different work than when they fill in ruts along the road. Anyone heard anything?
Found this,

"December 2023 Update -
The County of Hawai'i has reached another significant milestone as FEMA has now issued the highly anticipated "Notice to Proceed" for the Pohoiki Road and Highway 137 Road Repair and Water Line Projects. This official notification gives the County the green light to move forward and begin repairing roads and water infrastructure that were inundated or damaged by the 2018 Kīlauea eruption.

The next step involves the County finalizing the procurement process and making essential final preparations to ensure a smooth transition to the groundbreaking phase, which is expected to start in the first quarter of 2024. The County is also actively working on the required documentation necessary for putting this project out to bid.

The County of Hawai'i extends its gratitude to FEMA for their support and partnership throughout this process. As preparations continue, the County remains dedicated to keeping the community informed and engaged in the upcoming phases of this critical infrastructure initiative.

These latest developments mean the County remains on-track with the timeline published with the release of the Final Environmental Assessment last month, which can be seen by scrolling down to the update from November 2023. "

Taken from here...

https://recovery.hawaiicounty.gov/infrastructure/roads

I assume the shoulder work is for the proposed water line..
Still in utter amazement that an EA was required for disturbing a 40-80 foot thick layer of lava.
(01-21-2024, 06:38 PM)leilanidude Wrote: Still in utter amazement that an EA was required for disturbing a 40-80 foot thick layer of lava.

You mean 40-80 foot thick layer of sacred lava.
I believe the original post was referring to what appears to be routine maintenance on the Red Road between the dump and Kehena Beach Estates.  
What will be interesting is what happens to the kamani trees overhanging the highway in front of Kalani if the boat ramp opens six months before the PGV-to-Pohoiki road, as anticipated.
Contruction Update:  As I get it, the shoulders of State Highway 137 (the Red Road) between Kaimu and Kehena are now being hardened to prepare for repaving.  The road will be widened to 22 feet between Kaimu and the dump (it's now 20 feet) and paved 18-feet wide from there to somewhere around Kehena Beach Estates.

If they had of asked me, I would have told them to repave the eruption-ravaged Highway 130 between the Opihikao turnoff and Leilani Avenue first.  But then, I don't have to drive in and out of Seaview Estates five days a week.