Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle's Best opens in Borders
Before un-jacking the ongoing hijack...

I'm not privy to what BIC pays its workers. (Personally, I would pay bilingual workers with polished customer service skills well above average.) It's a given that BIC employees have chosen to work there, and from where I stand, if their morale is low it doesn't seem to be affecting their customer service. I always walk out of that store satisfied, albeit a bit lighter in the pocket.

For many BIC employees I'm guessing it might be a way to earn a second income. They seem to hire for skill (bilingual, usually Japanese-speaking) to serve one of their key strategic markets. No surprise that many Japanese speaking people on the island happen to be natives of Japan.

As I said, this is a well-run business. (Disclosure: I have no affiliation with BIC.) Their contributions to the community go beyond what they pay their employees. They have local vendors they pay for products and services. As a brand, they pull tourists to Hilo, tourists who shop and eat at other establishments. It's also safe to assume they pay their fair share of taxes. IMHO they add value to Hilo.

A sincere question: why would bringing in foreign money to our island be a bad thing? (Assuming, of course, that most of the money stays in our communities and the business is socially responsible.)

I think that much worse could happen to Hilo than the continuing success of Big Island Candies.

Now...un-jacking this hijack: It's regretful that a local mom-and-pop shop couldn't do the coffee gig at Borders. But I'm rooting for the new franchise to succeed. I don't know how strict the rules are with franchises, but (as someone suggested) perhaps the new proprietor would be open to featuring local Puna coffee brands and finding other ways to create opportunities for, and add value to, the community.

Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Honestly Damon,
quote:
If they are driving 180 miles to get cookies... it sounds like just a tourist from the other side of the island

yah right, she also drives to Hilo to walk for Breast Cancer, she drives to Pahala to be involved with her Buddhist church; she has lived on this island over 40 years and isn't confined to one area. She went to college at UH Hilo, and has many friends Hilo side.

Her children play athletics around the island ... and she knows where to get the cookies that knock people's socks off. Does she do other errands at the same time? Of course.

Starbucks owns Seattle's Best, so there really is not a big change going on here.
Seattle's Best Coffee began in Coupeville, Washington as an ice cream parlor/coffeehouse called the "Wet Whisker" and founded by Jim Stewart in 1968. It was known as "Stewart Brothers Coffee" from 1969 to 1991, when it took on its present name. Seattle's Best Coffee was joined with Torrefazione Italia Coffee to form Seattle Coffee Holdings (SCH). SCH built a roasterie for both brands in 1995 on Vashon Island.

In 1998 AFC Enterprises purchased Seattle Coffee Holdings and changed its name to Seattle Coffee Company (SCC). During AFC Enterprise's ownership SCC's Vashon Island roasterie was upgraded and the company's organic coffee line was established. Brought on by by failures from the Arthur Anderson Acounting firm AFC Enterprises was forced to sell SCC to Starbucks in July 2003, retaining franchise rights in eleven countries, Hawaii and U.S. military bases. In November 2004, AFC sold those franchise rights (along with Cinnabon) to a newly-established affiliate of Roark Capital Group, FOCUS Brands, Inc.. [1]

Starbucks closed the Vashon Island facility October 23, 2003 and moved production to their Kent, Washington roasterie.

The Borders bookstore chain signed a contract with Seattle's Best Coffee in 2004 to convert Borders' in-store cafes to Seattle's Best cafes. As of 2006, approximately two-thirds of Borders' domestic superstores have completed the Seattle's Best conversion. Seattle's Best parent company Starbucks Corporation has contracted with Borders' competitor Barnes & Noble to operate cafes in B&N superstores under the Starbucks brand. Starbucks also owns and operates locations within Chapters and Indigo Books and Music Bookstores in Canada.

It has recently[when?] been learned that the five stores in British Columbia have been acquired by Blenz Coffee, a competitor to Starbucks in that province.

Steak 'n Shake replaced their in-house line of coffee with Seattle's Best Coffee in February 2008. This came as the store upgraded its breakfast menu.

In Canada Seattle's Best brewed coffee is sold at Mac's Convenience Stores.

Coming in January 2009 - Subway will be selling Seattle's Best coffee.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

So there you have it folks. Globalization!!!

So, Seattles's Best Opens in Borders huh? Oh boy!