Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ConCon, anyone?

I'm hoping to see a gentleman this weekend that I've had several conversations with regarding a possible Constitutional Convention. He is totally involved in charter schools and has expressed interest in serving as a delegate to a ConCon to help make educational reform a reality in Hawaii.

But inquiries indicate there is more pre-election activity discouraging a Constitutional Convention (led by current Legislators and others enjoying the perks of the status quo). Those who I've talked to in favor of it see a ConCon as a tool for Rural Hawaii (statewide, including rural Oahu).

I'm curious as to the PunaWebbers' feelings about the upcoming ConCon vote. I approached the topic in another thread. Not much response (but appreciated, KapohoCat!) so I thought I'd give it a thread of its own.

On the other thread, Jerry brought up several issues he'd like candidates to respond to, including these 2 which I've been pushing as items that could be addressed in a ConCon:

quote:
First, State Department of Transportation plans for Highway 130 and meaningful citizen input on those (my insert: and other DOT) plans; and

Second, support for charter schools and necessary reforms to the State Education Department to insure their equitable treatment and funding.

Those arguing against the ConCon say it's too expensive, special interests will be in charge, our government doesn't need fixing, etc. etc.

Hello...nothing developed in a ConCon gets into the State Constitution without the approval of the state's voters following the close of the ConCon!

And a ConCon gives citizens other than State Legislators a chance to impact our basic governance. Sure, some legislators run for ConCon seats but they are a minority.

My argument is: How many legislative sessions do we have to go through to realize the Legislature is NOT the body to look to for answers to these issues?

The State Legislators are too consumed with holding on to their own power, public worker union leadership (NOT the rank-and-file union members) are too consumed with protecting state constitutional union mandates, and both are using fear tactics to discourage the citizenry from wanting a ConCon. And both are Honolulu dominated!

Look at how many non-HNL legislators and volunteer citizens worked on the Sustainable Hawaii 2050 study, only to have it derailed at the last minute by the State House leadership led by Speaker Calvin Say and the HNL financial fatcats!

I am supremely grateful to the leadership that included the provision in our State Constitution calling to the question of a ConCon be put to the public on the ballot if 10 years have passed without the Legislature calling for a ConCon. That is why Hawaii's voters will all have to opportunity to speak up for a ConCon this election.

Don't let the naysayers put you off having a chance to really do something about the many basic issues facing us here in our beautiful island home.

Well, now you know my take. What's yours? Those of us who want to put something together for a ConCon would appreciate hearing from you.[?]

Aloha and malama pono, Crankie Frankie
I'm with you, Frankie. The State Legislators complaining about "special interests" is the pot calling the kettle black, given the fact that the good old boys are about the most entrenched special interest group in the State. I personally think that the legislators should not be allowed as delegates to the Con-Con, but I am pretty sure current law would not allow such a prohibition. Plus there are a few of them who would actually be helpful. (Is my cynicism showing yet?)

If it didn't accomplish anything more than the reform of the Education Department, it would be worth it. Of course, any reform at all will depend on the citizens getting off their duffs and participating. It won't do us any good to have a Con-Con if the same old people just reinforce their hold on power.

I urge everyone to vote yes on the Con-Con, and then make sure that innovative new faces comprise the bulk of the delegates. This is important.

Cheers,
Jerry
con-con, YES.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I'd like to see a Con Con too...

kamaaina/da kine

Liz Randol ® lizr@aloha.net
808-965-9353

Realty Executives Hawaii Brokers Inc. Hilo
www.liz-randol.com
www.liz-randol.com/spiritpath
kamaaina/da kine

Liz Randol ® lizr@aloha.net
808-965-9353

TYPICALLY TROPICAL PROPERTIES

www.liz-randol.com
www.liz-randol.com/spiritpath
I am looking for credible online sources of information on the process of the con-con: what percentage of yes votes does it take, who and how are delegates chosen etc. I have a student doing a project on the con-con and I would love to be able to point him towards some good websites with information on the nuts and bolts of a con-con, as well as ones which present a wide range of opinions as to the advisability of a con-con. Mahalo for any help you can give.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Did you check this site out yet?

-------
Glob
Mahalo Damon,
That is exactly what I was hoping to aim my student towards. Between all my classes I have over 75 different student projects going so I don't have much time to preresearch their topics so I can point them in the right direction on research. Any additional sites, including pros and cons would be very welcome.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The site you might really want to look at is this break down of what it will cost.[Wink]

-------
Glob