Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willie K headlines Dem's Nov. 3 Grand Rally
Frankie, thank you for responding in detail. Your opinions are respectable, and you should never regret "spilling your guts," especially here on Punaweb. I especially like the fact that you take an INCLUSIVE approach, i.e. you didn't suggest that I go off and join the Republicans. (FWIW, I won't.) I do have a few more points in response, though.

The Kalani forum was not my only experience meeting Ms. Hanohano, but I did not mention it in my first post. I had the same impression on the other occasion, too. My own choice for her focus would have been getting desperately needed infrastructure and tangible resources for Puna, and not the GM taro ban. Others are entitled to feel differently.

Ed Case is indeed to the right of most Hawaii politicians, but there are plenty of Democratic officeholders in my native state of Texas and my previous state of residence, Georgia, who make Mr. Case look quite liberal. My biggest complaint in reference to the Case candidacy was the suggestion by many of the "pulse takers" that it was somehow outrageous for him to even run.

I am sure Daniel Akaka has an excellent staff, but we elect him and not them. At certain critical points in our representation, he has to be able to debate, counterpoint, and make a case for us. I don't see him as effective that way, but I do admire his environmental voting record and war opposition as you do.

We probably agree on far more things than not, Frankie, and I deeply respect your historical perspective on Hawaii politics. It is both deeper and longer than my own. And I still vote Democratic the great majority of the time. I was proud to caucus in Pahoa with all those other patient, enthusiastic folks. I'm sure you were there, too.

Cheers,
Jerry
Frankie,

What an excellent post! I wish you would spill your guts more often!

-------
My Blog
I'm not sure you can call the plantation era dead yet. They are still hanging on I am confident. The tide is changing however.

Regarding Faye...

When she first ran for this office she was notable in not attending any functions or forums for the public. Her union support seems to have been sufficient for her to ignore the voting public. That habit basically continued during her term in office. Only recently have we been graced with her presence in lackluster appearances.

I myself have always been, and remain, an independent. For me party affiliations are of minor import. She was elected without showing her face. I appreciate Frankie's points of view and knowledge and listen to her always.

The Hawaiian Democratic Machine though is one of the more faulty and corrupt in the nation at this point. I am not impressed with Democratic credentials in Hawaii... somewhat the opposite. I have to look at the individual.

I will vote fro Fred Blas.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, I too vote for the individual, not along party lines. I'm sure sorry I voted for Linda Lingle ®; I'm sorry I voted for John Waihee (D). But at the time, those were the choices I made, based on the choices the voters were offered.

After seeing the length and breadth of this elective cycle, I give thanks and credit to ALL those who put themselves on the line for public office. [8)] fs