Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ms. Naeole and Route 130
Questioning the motives, timing, sincerity, and rectitude of a politician's actions and statements is a 100% appropriate and very American thing to do. Refuting those questions is also appropriate and American. However, making negative assumptions about the character of people who raise such questions and doing so by using terms such as "back biting" and "lowest" is not very becoming IMHO.

A little bit more history here might be useful. I distinctly remember that two years ago during her first campaign, Ms. Naeole was asked about traffic problems on Highway 130. She said something to the effect of "I didn't know we had traffic in Puna. I will have to look into this." Quite a few people found that statement shocking. Am I the only one who remembers it? Anyway, it's two years later and re-election time, and now we are hearing that she finally wants to do something about it. If anything was done in the meantime, perhaps the Councilwoman should have made her constituents more aware of it. We might have joined her in lobbying the DOT. (Not that they would listen to us, mind you.) I personally joined her in lobbying the DNLR by writing to them about the lack of sanitary facilities at Puna recreational sites.

Emily Naeole, her staff, and supporters need to know that she has disappointed, dismayed, and in some cases even insulted some of her constituents. I know the persons who are questioning her motives in this thread, and they are not mean or "back-biting" individuals. They simply expect a higher level of representation that what they have been getting. I once did not share their opinion and even thought fondly of Ms. Naeole, but have changed my opinion after much observation and reflection.

Tiffany, I still respect you and think you have been the best thing going for Emily Naeole. I do not, however, agree with the content or tone of your latest posting here.

Cheers,
Jerry
Sorry, Jerry, but I'm just growing a little weary, and that is why I won't be working for Auntie that much longer. As for honestly expressing myself on this blog, I'm simply exercising my First Amendment right. As a human, and a sensitive one, I have a right to express my feelings of disenchantment.

As for the reversible lane resolution, this is an idea that has taken a while to manifest. The legislation has been in the works for some time. It appears the maker of this string is more intent on balking about the timing/possible political motive than to discuss the reso itself so, if you want to talk to me about the resolution, you can reach me at 961-8020.
Actually, I would LOVE to know --- if not a contraflow lane --- WHAT do WE do about OUR problem on Highway 130? Anybody else got any ideas? I think, if you are going to poo-poo somebody's effort for a solution, you sure as hell better offer another solution in its place. That's the decent thing to do IMHO.

TCEH
What happened to this thread? There were posts from Janet, Jerry and Myself that seem to be missing.

-------
My Blog
here is the missing data... it may have been caught up in the corruption.

quote:
Damon
Punatic

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
1626 Posts
Posted - 10/24/2008 : 19:43:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested, there will be an H-130 Advisory Board Meeting Monday Night, Oct. 27th at Keaau Elementary School at 6:00 PM.

Ms. Naeole should be present herself.

-------
My Blog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Damon on 10/24/2008 19:44:36

gtill
Kamaaina

USA
829 Posts
Posted - 10/24/2008 : 20:57:10

Damon if you drove much on Oahu, you would notice all the contraflow lanes are on roads with 35, rarely 45 mph city roads that are truly congested, a cone system on 130 at 55 would make the trip really dangerous, not just the minor pain it now is. Mabe if you dropped the speed to 45 it might work. Also the road width isn't real 4 lane highway size, but it does provide a super slow lane, if slow traffic would just respect the flyers as inevitable.

Damon
Punatic

1626 Posts
Posted - 10/24/2008 : 21:10:08

Dropping the speed limit during a designated time with a contraflow would be a great idea.

Considering it's hard to get above 50 anyhow on H-130 between 4 and 6

It is going to take education of the drivers, just as any change would take.

-------
My Blog

Greg
Kamaaina

511 Posts
Posted - 10/24/2008 : 21:31:44

Maybe politicians shouldn't be allowed to work for six months preceding an election. *

*sarcasm

Damon
Punatic

1626 Posts
Posted - 10/25/2008 : 07:51:24

Greg makes a really good point.

Should politicians quit trying to push legislation because people will think it's politically motivated?

NO!

Tiff - I'm glad you're working so hard right up to the end... Mahalo!

-------
My Blog

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
You miss the point on the contra flow lanes. Besides the danger of driving this type of temporary diverted traffic in Puna,
THE EXISTING ROADWAY CAN’T SUPPORT IT!

From the Keaau merge to Shower it can be done because of the widened shoulder northbound.
This will only move the traffic jam down to Shower Drive.

From Shower to Paradise the road isn’t wide enough for a third lane.

Therefore, you widen the southbound shoulder, which is needed to support the contra flow lane and “Poof” you don’t need the contra flow because you have a 12’ wide lane to drive on.

The State DOT requires a travel lane be a minimum of 12’.
There is very little construction (and cost if you do it now) to accomplish this from Shower to Paradise. The rock outcroppings can be crushed and used to level the subgrade, install the road base course rock and pave.
There is very little striping needed to be done.
Waiting for the entire roadway rehabilitation to be complete will probably be around 2013. As I stated before this shoulder widening can be completed with in one year.

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....