Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpearFishing Adventures
I went out fishing last weekend, with my buddy and his family. We went trolling for Tuna, but only caught one small blackfin tuna.

While we were out my buddies dad and brother decided they were going to go spearfishing. I was absolutely amazed at the low maintenance way to fish this was... light tackle, potentail to bring in some big fish (they were after Cobia) and at worse, you still went snorkeling !

Does anyone on here spear fish, and where are some popular and good places on BI to go ?
Spear fishing is very popular here (the Hawaiian sling was ...well... named for here)... and there are many locations that people spear fish...even in the beach parks with people swimming, there are people spearfishing (OK, this is one area I think a little common sense could be added)

There are many stores that have gear here (just about all have some, even grocery stores), and there are a few that specialize in spearfishing & have expertise... although I am a lifelong diver & snorkeler, I just take pictures, so I am of no help in more than knowing where the fish are...
I always like to go Laupahoehoe or south point if I am with friends and want to catch big. If I go with my boys or myself I stay closer to home and dive Kapoho to secrets or even Poihiki is good. Mostly we spear Kala, Uhu, sometimes we get lucky and spot Taco or Lobster, all sling though for greater challenge. You do need to know the currents here a bit, and be able to navigate through the reefs and waves. Good fins are good friends?.
Thanks Gypsy, I was thinking Kapoho pools would be ideal, but was concerned that it may be wrong to Spear fish where people may be going to swim...

I am not familiar with the Hawaiian names of fish, would you mind helping me know what kind of fish it is you get ?
Oneself you can not fish or spear at the Kapoho Tide Pools (FISH SANCUARY), You must swim out 400 yards over that section. I go out north of there and swim down to secrets to get out. The Pools are fun for snorkeling and recreational options.
Thank you, thats what my gut was telling me, but I got confused when you said you go there. Do you use a sling or gun ?