Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free "Informed Citizen Workshop" - Pahoa Library
There will be a Free
"Informed Citizen Workshop"
at the Pahoa Library

December 15th 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Are you interested in politics?

Do you understand Hawaii's legislative process?

Do you want to get involved with the legislature?

Would you like to write good testimony and get it to the right hands?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Ugh! I'd like to go but I feel this sort of thing would do nothing more than peeve me off even more at the lack of responsible government. [Sad!]
I think this would be an interesting and worth while hour spent.

Is this a one time workshop or is it held yearly? Would love a synopsis following the meeting this evening!

mella l

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Originally posted by iboost

Ugh! I'd like to go but I feel this sort of thing would do nothing more than peeve me off even more at the lack of responsible government. [Sad!]
Government is a reflection of its people. If people don't participate, they get exactly what they deserve. The meeting is to educate the people on the legislative process. I fail to see how that can upset anyone.[V]
About a dozen people showed up in Pahoa last night to take part in Suzanne Marinelli's tutorial on the legislative process. I thought it was quite good...she kept it light but very informative. Provided hardcopy handouts for everyone in attendance so they could take them home and go step by step through the legislative services offered by the Legislature's Public Access Room (PAR), a division of the Legislative Reference Bureau. Among the handouts she gave us were: A Participant's Guide: Walk through Session (69 pages teaching about bills, deadlines, committees, testimony and more, including a glossary of legislative-speak) and a 60-page Finding our way...through the Hawaii legislative process. She peppered her lesson with interesting insider info that would help keep a citizen from getting discouraged by the process.

Marinelli said she and her staff are "deeply non-partisan" so as to serve the needs of Hawaii's public. She said the PAR is "exclusively devoted to the public" and is the only such state-funded resource in the nation, according to NPR or PBS, I forget which. I highly recommend this workshop and feel that Ms. Marinelli is a great public resource in her own right.

Among the facilities and services provided at the PAR on the State Capitol's 4th floor are computers with internet access (including ADA users); wireless access and table space to use your laptop when working on Legislative issues or waiting for hearings; photocopying of testimony for hearings or distribution to legislators; assistance in finding, preparing and following legislative documents and activity; access to hearing notices, referral sheets, journals, and orders-of-the-day; reference materials including HRS, auditor's reports, etc.; and expert staff to provide info regarding legislative matters and gov't affairs. PAR is open 6 days a week when the legislature is in session and 5 days a week the rest of the year.

I'm forwarding additional info regarding other classes: Tuesday, 12/16/08, 6:30 p..m. – 8:00 p.m. in Waimea at Thelma Parker Public Library; Wednesday 12/17/08, 6:30 p..m. – 8:00 p.m. at the Kona Liquor Control Conference Room (75-5722 Hanama Place, #1107, Kailua- Kona).
>
>> For additional information on the workshops, or to arrange for
> individual consultation or group workshops, residents are invited
> to contact the Public Access Room toll free from the Big Island at
> 974-4000 ext.7-0478 or email par@capitol.hawaii.gov. The Public Access Room (PAR) is
> the public’s office at the State Capitol. The office is devoted to
> assisting people engaging in State legislative government. The
> office is open year-round; its resources (including knowledgeable
> staff) are available and accessible to all residents. There is
> never a fee for services.
>

Thank you Frankie for the report. Very interesting.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator