Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Vehicle sticker repair shops?
I have to get my new sticker when I arrive. What places are reasonably priced for the inspection and repair (my check engine light is on, and I need new tires). The dealer in Hilo claimed I needed a new catalytic (whatever!) converter, so I want a second opinion before they take all my inheritance.
[Wink]
Directions would help, too.
If you paid the inspector his 15$ or whatever it is, you can't change inspectors, and have to do as he says. You can get your tires, converter or whatever elsewhere, but he has to make the final inspection. And understand, if your car is over a year old, he could find somthing else!
Gordon J Tilley
Nah, you don't have to hang with the first guy. You won't get your fifteen dollars back but you can go somewhere else. They will look at the tires but they don't care about catalytic converters or check engine lights. You need good tires and good brake lights and turn signals. If you go to a dealer or someone who sells car parts they will probably be more thorough in hopes of selling more parts. There is a gas station called Chika's over near Paradise Plants (big yellow sign on the right as you go on the highway out of Hilo towards Volcano) which is pretty easy to deal with.

They are mostly concerned with registration and insurance cards. If your car isn't registered in Hawaii yet, go get it inspected and they will give you a copy of the inspection stating you have passed everything but the registration. Take that to the Department of Motor Vehicles (across the street from the downtown Long's Drug Store) and they will register the car. Then take the papers back to the car inspection place and they will put the sticker on your bumper. You can get new license plates while you are the DMV, too, if you like.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Thanks. I bought it in Hilo in December, but the sticker ran out in March, when I wasn't there. I tried to get it updated in January, but by mistake, went to the dealer - they don't sell tires, and the converter had to be shipped in - too late for my flight out (but it saved me the expense, if I don't really need it to renew!) Where's the best tire place that would have them in stock? I know they need replacing! (Its not rare, its a Chevy Venture - like a minivan)
I am a HUGE FAN of Nick's Garage on Makaala St in Hilo. They do excellent work, no hassles or BS and the prices are incredibly reasonable. Smile
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I have had excellent service and advice from Greg at
Wong's Repair
204 Silva St # A
Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 961-3636#8206;

Time will tell - I'm listening?
Time will tell - I'm speaking?
Take the car to a safety inspection station and wait for them to tell you to get new tires before you get new tires unless you need to get them for actual safety reasons. Skip the converter, too. Just drive the car as is to the inspection station, shut up and don't say a word about tires, converters or any previous trips to an inspection station and see what they say. Then wait to see if they mention any new parts necessary.

We get tires from Costco, but they are in Kona.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson