Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska Sockeye is going to be sold by Walmart
I dont know if anyone in Hawaii knows but Wally will be selling frozen wild sockeye (reds) to alot of western stores. if it comes to Hilo i would encourage you to try some. i think its the best tasting of all the salmon. great for the grill just dont over cook it. like mikey said "try it youll like it". if anyone wants to try some smoked salmon let me know and i will bring some over in Feb for you.

peace
I have 50 # of silver salmon (my husband caught it in Alaska) to use up before we move to Hawaii in January... I have a smoker and will be doing some. I agree with you Rusty, the wild sockeye is awesome. Do you ever cold smoke and then finish on the grill? That is my favorite way.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
never have cold smoked and grilled, usually we grill it fresh. smoke the kings or silvers. i checked out your web site....seems that you are quite the cook! pretty cool stuff you do.

peace
Devany,

Nice thing that you make. I love that kind of stuff and have a friend in Kona that is in that business. I’m in the process of making another still, now for those out there that are going to warn me about legalities of doing so forget it. I do it as a hobby. What I would like to know is could you make me some “little brown jug’s” about the quart size? You know like those that white lightning came in back in the hills. I want to make some of my famous snapps with an island flair for presents.

The Lack
Tom,

Good for you! Send me an e-mail if you need some taste testers <ggg>

I can try making some jugs for you, though most of my work is more sculptural. I will not be in production for a few months as we are in the process of moving to the BI. My studio is not going to be set up till after the main house is unpacked. FYI, when I lived in the south, most people kept their "juice" in Mason Jars.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Lackey

Devany,

Nice thing that you make. I love that kind of stuff and have a friend in Kona that is in that business. I’m in the process of making another still, now for those out there that are going to warn me about legalities of doing so forget it. I do it as a hobby. What I would like to know is could you make me some “little brown jug’s” about the quart size? You know like those that white lightning came in back in the hills. I want to make some of my famous snapps with an island flair for presents.

The Lack

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Thanks for the compliments. In addition to being an artist, I am a food writer and had a cooking school in Chicago. Cold smoked is great because it imparts the flavor, but stays very moist. Unless you have a temp controlled smoker, you can offset the salmon from the heat and keep the heat as low as possible while still imparting the smoke. I have a Bradley Digital Smoker and you can adjust the temps with it but I have cold smoked with other smokers too.

And for those of you who smoke... when you have some extra room in the smoker, try smoking salt... it is awesome!

Grilling fresh is a great way to do it too. Have you also tried the cedar planks on the grill?

Gravlax is another great way to make salmon, sort of like Poke, but sliced not chunks.

Back to the Walmart issue... I did not even know our Hilo Walmart had much food, other than some dry and canned goods. If anyone sees the salmon there, let me know! Obviously, salmon would be frozen there.

Our Whole Foods (Walnut Creek, CA) has half and whole wild, fresh never frozen salmon for $4.99 a pound right now. I was there buying Dungeness Crab this morning. Our crab season just started.

42 days till we are permanent residents of Hilo!

quote:
Originally posted by rusty h

never have cold smoked and grilled, usually we grill it fresh. smoke the kings or silvers. i checked out your web site....seems that you are quite the cook! pretty cool stuff you do.

peace

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
I love salmon! But do I want to get it from Walmart? Like I said in another post; it saddens me to see Walmart being promoted here. Walmart is the epidomy of conglomerates that destroy local markets and create a dependent situation for consumers and the local economy rather than sustainability and independence.
i know what you mean rasman and i really dont like shopping at wallys but sometimes i need to. i just wanted people in Puna to have the chance to try a wonderful Alaskan product that is not always around. at least its from America and not China. i was'nt sure if the Hilo store was a super wallys. if not then you wont see the reds.