Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
goat hunters
Are there any goat hunters? I understand there's quite a few and goat hunting at the upper elevations sounds like fun. What's considered a good calibre for goat hunting there? What are commen ranges for shots when hunting goats there? I suppose I will have to make advance arrangements with Pam in case I go hunting and don't take one I can then stop by her place so I can lie about what a great hunter I am.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Well, I have never heard of many wild goats in Puna, but while doing checks of the hunting areas around PTA and Pu'u Huluhulu on opening day of bird season (I am a DLNR Conservation Officer AKA Game Warden), I saw several large herds. For goat size game here, you could get away with a .223 Rem. if you are a careful shot, but a .243 or 308 Win. would allow for the longer shots. You should be able to get within 100 yards or so, but with enough gun, if you're a decent shot you could shoot out to 300-400 yards.

When you are here, call 974-4221Division of Forestry and Wildlife) or 974-6208 (Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement) for current info.
Ruger M77 in 308 then, thanks.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Good choice. Give me a call at 808-974-6208 if yo have any other ????. Ask for Andy.
I imagine Goat Hunting is on the same level as Moose hunting....real challenging![:p]

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Thank you Andy. I will do that.

BB,
I've never been goat hunting but I understand it usually entails considerable hiking and that will certainly be a challange for me. But I want to try.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Im very curious about the Mouflon Sheep down in Ka'u.

Ive been following this story for a while but have not followed up on it. This is the last Update on Hunting in Hawaii for Mouflon I could find.

Published: March - 2008 in http://www.huntingreport.com/

Until a few years ago, the Big Island of Hawaii was home to the world's largest pure-bred mouflon herd, an estimated 22,000 sheep. They were concentrated on 116,000-acre Kahuku Ranch, where Eugene Yap of South- point Safaris offered hunts for these animals. All of that came to an end when the US Park Service purchased the property in July 2003 and added it to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The Park Service proceeded to exterminate the mouflon and all other non-indigenous wildlife on the property. They even handed out subsidies to surrounding landowners to encourage the extermination of all exotics on their properties as well. Free-ranging purebred mouflons in Hawaii appeared to be doomed at that point.

But not so fast. Seems a small population of these sheep has escaped the slaughter and is still available for hunting. The only problem is, the available opportunity is very limited and could be easily overwhelmed. Consequently, subscribers are strongly urged to keep this discovery under their hats.

What seems to have happened is, a number of mouflon fled the killings fields of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and moved into neighboring state forests and other state-owned lands where the US Park Service cannot pursue them. Now fairly protected, the sheep have begun to flourish again with an estimated population of 200 sheep. Reports are that hunters have taken some great trophies there lately. The two forests are the Ka'u and Kapapala State Forest Reserves. All that is required to hunt them is a Hawaiian hunting license that costs $105. Access to the forests is free but can be tricky because they are surrounded by private property. The Hawaii Division of Forestry and Wildlife can provide information on road access and the names of landowners who allow hunters to cross their properties for access.
There is nothing too big and few things too small to be taken with a 30-06.
from 110 grain to 220 grain.
Most versatile rifle on earth.
varment to elephant.

I have a 30-06 Browning A-bolt Stainless stalker w/ BOSS with a 3.5X10x40mm Leupold Vari X-III w/ custom cheek piece.

I site it for at 200 yards where it keeps well under an inch group shooting cheapo federal soft point ammo.

Because you have to go thru a process and shoot about 80 rnds to tweak that BOSS I have never tried a different ammo.
I would imagine if I switched to commercial match ammo it would group tighter, but I don't think a deer cares if it is his right or left ventricle. Smile

It just came to me that a great charity would be to take kids from say 10-18 and teach them hunting and butchery.

Instead of spending their time in sports (which are worthless) there should be a strong 4-H and FFA program to teach these kids every thing from farming to trades like carpentry and machining.