Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Hiker Rescued
Devaney,

If you have a tripod for your camera, it would be good to go early and get a spot near the front of the roped-off area. We found that it was difficult to steady the camera by hand once it got dark and the red embers started to be visible. Another note is that some people brought towels or small chairs for comfort when seated on the lava though I stood for a couple of hours, no problem. Good shoes and flashlights are a must as stated earlier.

Laura
Evidently there have been two of rescues in the last couple of days. I'm trying to get the skinny on the second one.

Another interesting and related story was that the other night when a cruise ship was in town, an Arnott's guide brought a couple from the ship and took them on an illegal tour (Arnott's had said earlier they wouldn't do illegal tours anymore).

The couple evidently was having such a good time, they wouldn't leave the area when the guide told them it was time to go.

The cruise ship ended up WAITING on the people (I didn't think they did this ?) and the kicker is...

The cruise company is billing Arnotts for late dock fees and for their time waiting. [Big Grin]
If I remember correctly, a few years ago a hiker fell down the cliff in Waipio Valley behind Waimea and he was billed for the rescue costs.
Been awhile but the oceanside of the flow has been great. Love to show you the ultimate way to view the lava aboard the LavaKai. Thanks to those supporters and for those haters well it is PUNA still what can i say

Happy New Years to all & I hope you all had a great holiday season

Captain Shane

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
That is hillarious Greg. I wondered why the ship left so late, usually they leave just after dark and they swing around to see the lava. We like to watch them as we have dinner. They are all lit up and kind of run to see once in a while. The tug pulling the barge with containers usually comes in right after they leave. It too is lit up with strings of lights

I was on a cruise ship in Belize that LEFT late people. They had to pay their own way to the next port to catch up with us.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Another interesting and related story was that the other night when a cruise ship was in town, an Arnott's guide brought a couple from the ship and took them on an illegal tour (Arnott's had said earlier they wouldn't do illegal tours anymore).

The couple evidently was having such a good time, they wouldn't leave the area when the guide told them it was time to go.

The cruise ship ended up WAITING on the people (I didn't think they did this ?) and the kicker is...

The cruise company is billing Arnotts for late dock fees and for their time waiting. [Big Grin]

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
The woman must have blind or something. Was out there a few nights ago and there are clear blinking lights about a ten minute walk from the entry, which is the official viewing area. With the moon lately, you could get there pretty easily even without a flashlight.