Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP General Membership Meeting Sunday
HPP is having it's thrice yearly membership meeting tomorrow Sunday February 22 between 3:00-5:00pm.

" Notice is hereby given that there will be a meeting of the Hawaiian Paradise Park Owners’ Association General Membership at 3:00 PM on Sunday, February 22, 2009 in the Hawaiian Paradise Park Activity Center on Maku’u Drive in Hawaiian Paradise Park Subdivision, Kea’au, HI.

AGENDA

I (3:00) Call to Order II
(3:05) Announcements III
(3:10) Approval of Minutes from the October 28, 2008 Membership Meeting IV
(3:15) Treasurer's Report V
(3:20) General Manager Report VI Special Reports A
(3:25) Parks Committee B
(3:30) Bylaw Committee (for Overall Review) C
(3:35) ENET D
(3:45) Paving Update VII Unfinished Business A
(3:45) Bylaw Change Proposal B
(4:00) Nominating Committee Appointment Confirmation VIII New Business A
(4:20) Revival of the Coqui Frog Eradication Group IX
(4:30) Owner Input – facilitated; three minute time limit per owner X Next General Membership Meeting – June 28, 2009 XI
(5:00) Adjournment of Meeting at 5 pm "
I spoke to a friend who was at the BOD meeting last Wednesday, and he reports that the Board voted to seek bids for paving a stretch of 1st and all of 16th between Makuu and Kaloli, as well as some other small sections. The 16th project worries me a bit because the emphasis at the last meeting I attended was on roads with the highest maintenance costs, and I'm not sure 16th is one of the worst. 16th IS halfway to the shore and does connect the HPP maintenance facility across the Park, so that might be the rationale.

The township proposal, while said to have the support of Emily Naeole and Billy Kenoi, is winding through the legislative process. Getting it through the Legislature will depend on the ability of Faye Hanohano to get it out of committee by a deadline that may already have passed IIRC. Unless Ms. Hanohano has had an epiphany of energy and influence, it's not going anywhere, IMHO. The Honolulu bloc of legislators will be wary of a measure that might give Kapolei and Kaneohe ideas about seceding from Mufi Hanneman's domain.

My friend did not mention the harbor proposal, but I imagine environmental and zoning issues would make that a remote possibility.

I plan to attend tomorrow's meeting, and I hope other Punawebbers will also go.

Cheers,
Jerry
I plan to go. This will be the first time I will make it to the HPPOA meeting. My neighbor may go as well.
Just glanced at the time and this should be in full swing about now. Anxious to hear the outcome.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
I attended the meeting, and we spent a lot of time on some by-law amendments that would restrict building new driveways entering onto the main Mauka-Makai roads as well as restrict the use of the main road rights of way for signage and vending. There was lots of discussion, some heated, about this due to the opinion of many that there was no enforcement mechanism to give it meaning. Finally, an amended version was voted to be on a general ballot of all property owners.

The road paving report was my biggest interest, and I spoke questioning the wisdom of paving 16th when the General Manager has told us it is not one of the most expensive roads to maintain. The Board members there defended it by saying that it was to help the road maintenance crew have faster access across the subdivision and to make the Activity Center more accessible. I still disagree in view of the General Manager's report.

The General Manager's report focused on the escalating road assessments, which will have to go up 10% per year until 2013 or 2014 to cover the paving bonds. This will leave less than is currently spent for maintaining the unpaved roads. The fee will go from the current $196.00 to about $316.00 by 2014 due to compounding. She went on to tell us that the unpaved roads would probably be more poorly maintained than in the recent past. A member pointed out that those who lived on unpaved roads would be paying a lot more for poorer roads. The GM agreed that this would be the case.

Faye Hanohano came to the meeting, but left after an hour. No mention was made of her proposed legislation creating a Township of HPP.

Those are what I think were the main points. If anyone else who was there has any corrections or additions, please chime in.

Cheers,
Jerry
Interesting that Faye Hanohano was in attendance. And it is a shame no discussion of HPP township. Is the $316 per year?! One thing that has driven us from condos is the extreme MONTHLY association dues. In Hawaii we are finding these to be in excess of $600 per month. Even the tower we live in in SLC has monthly fees close to $500 per month. That's fine for us now but we plan on being poorer when we live in HPP ;-)

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
The HPP fee assessments are annual.

Jerry
If I'd been able to attend, I would've gone. Thanks for the update.

What was that about "Revival of the Coqui Frog Eradication Group IX"?
All I remember about coqui eradication was that it got mentioned. I don't recall a report, per se. It's generally considered hopeless at this point, but if somebody wants to fight a rear guard action, more power to them.

Also, the Parks Committee has pinned our hopes for development of a 20-acre park on the federal stimulus package. Mayor Kenoi has put it on his wish list for Hawaii County.

Cheers,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Yes, I do 100% agree with you in regards to the paving of the 16th Ave. stretch. Sorry, us locals are too quiet and would not speak up in front of a large group.

I live on 18th off Makuu, and HPPOA came twice to scrape up the good base-coarse we had on the road, thus leaving red cinder behind. There was no reason why the base-coarse was taken away.