Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipman development plan meeting Monday July 10th
Aloha all,

W.H. Shipman Inc. has been working on development plans for their land-holdings in lower Puna. As they own most of the land in the area bounded by HPP, Kea'au and the airport/Panaewa side of Hilo, their plans will have major consequences for Puna.

There will be a public presentation and meeting about their development plans this coming Monday, July 10 at 6:30 pm. The meeting will be held at the Shipman office in Kea'au.

Directions: heading toward Hilo from lower Puna, turn towards Kea'au off the Kea'au Bypass. Continue past the middle school (makai side) and McDonald's (mauka side) and through the stop light. Kea'au shopping center will be mauka and the Kea'au marketplace (farmers' market) makai.
After the market structure is a dirt road makai that leads to parking behind the market. After the dirt road is a paved road makai, which is the driveway into Shipman offices where the meeting will be held.

Coming from Hilo or Volcano, you can turn off the highway at the Kea'au light and then you'll have to drive past the access road, turn around somewhere and come back the other way. Alternately, take the back road from either side to the stopligh, turn towards the highway, and then as above.

aloha,
John S.

Edited by - johns on 07/07/2006 21:18:03
That sucks. There is a pristine and empty coast that is so great to hike Hilo side of HPP. Filling that area up with huge homes and people with attitudes of "Stay of my land" reaaly is sad.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I heard the co. is proposing like 3 bypass roads through their property, maybe they will be addressing that

I am very interested in what is said at this meeting. I would go but I'm 2500 miles away. Is anyone on punaweb going? It would be great to see a brief outline of the meeting.

Went to the meeting. It started with a preview of a Don't Drink & Drive movie done by the Keaau High School students.
Kimo Lee from Shipman presented a very long range plan of some of the Shipman properties. Most of the plan was for the Shipman properties in, and abutting, Keaau Town proper (mauka of Puna Fresh, mauka of Hwy. 130/11 intersection, Makai of Puna Hongwanji Mission, and between Keaau High & Keaau Loop. There was a little bit on the property abutting HPP, most of it is currently planned as rural residentional & Ag, but down on Kaloli Point, they do have a long range (50 year) plan to include a resort & golf course (Kimo repeatedly explained that the infrastructure for this would be a tremendous undertaking. Their long range plan also has a community college & sports complex on over 300 acres, makai of Hwy. 130, but this is a very long range plan. Right now their 5-10 year plan is mainly dealing properties in Keaau town & the 32 acre shopping complex 130 & 11. They did seem to really want to keep green spaces & increase bike & foot paths access ways, and to connect the High school more to the community.
After this meeting was the Neigborhood Watch Captains Meeting. Big points: loose dogs & getting neighbors involved.
If anyone else was there, I probably missed something, feel free to update more,
Aloha, Carey

Some also might be interested in the next Puna Community Development Plan meeting.
I found this info at www.hawaiiislandplan.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The County of Hawai`i is holding the first workshop of the Puna Community Development Plan (CDP) on Saturday, July 22, at the Ha`aeamahi Dining Hall on the Kamehameha Schools Campus in Kea`au, from 8:30 a.m. to Noon. This workshop is open to the public and especially to those who want to be a part of the collective effort to improve Puna as a place to live, work, and play.

Please RSVP by calling the Puna CDP Hotline at 935-3975 by July 14. To help us prepare for group exercises in the workshop, please let us know what part of Puna you live in. More information is available at http://www.hawaiiislandplan.com.

Bringing this exciting topic forward (e-mail me privately if you wish to send me tips in the amount of $1, $5 or $10).

What's the latest on this. A little birdie told me the "Golf Course abutting HPP" plans have been moved up. Is that true?

I don't golf (God bless those that do). Especially in the rain. I snorkel.

More rumors ... Not worth a nickel...