Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Punaweb
Hi, my name is Joanne and I lived on Oahu from 1976-1990. I LOVE HAWAII! My husband and I just got married last year and we went to
Oahu for our honeymoon. My husband fell in love with the island.
We are looking at property in the HSRE area but we have never been to the Big Island. I have so many questions and hoped I might get some answers here. Everyone sounds so friendly and helpful - just like I remember!
We were wondering about the amount of rain, mosquitos, vog, and if there are any beaches nearby to this area.
We currently live in Illinois close to the Wisconsin border and we just can't take another winter!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just read as much of what is here and do your homework! It's not all peaches and cream. But a great place to live!

Hope you have jobs and back up money.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Welcome!
Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates, that's in Hawaiian Beaches, isn't it?
In some ways it'll be like HPP: yes rain, yes mosquitos, no vog (very little). Fantastic temperatures.
No beaches close by, it's a lava cliff shore. Nearest one is (I think) Kehena (25 mins drive).
Welcome to Punaweb. There is a world of information and a lot of helpful people here. Just scan through the topics and use the search function to find out about particular subjects. And by all means pay close attention to Royall's admonition about jobs and money. The economy here isn't doing great right now, and it's hard to break into even when it's doing better.

Cheers,
Jerry
Aloha Joanne: Welcome to Puna info central. If you've never been to the Big Island, you should try to come for a visit before you buy land. It is definitely NOT Oahu-like here. There are many things to like about East Hawaii, but it has to be a fit for you and your husband to work. Many people buy sight unseen and end up realizing that they can't handle the (fill in your favorite peeve here) and sell out and go back to Wisconsin.
You've already gotten good search advice, and money/job advice--so take one more piece and come over for a good stay, a month if you can do it, and explore.

-dwajs
-dwajs
We came for six weeks and really explored before we decided to buy. I recommend one step further, because things have changed a lot in the last four years..... come over, rent a place for six months and find jobs, etc... Then explore everywhere... because there are 11 of the 13 recognized world climate zones on this island and just about 10 times as many "feels". You just have to find the right spot for you and it isn't done on the internet. It's easy to get hoodwinked by anyone who wants desprately to leave and sell you their place. It's a true buyers market if you have the funds and work isn't an issue... so solve those things before you buy.

Welcome and good luck!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hawaiian Beaches has private water, and HPP would most likely be on catchment.
Hi Joanne - my boyfriend and I have been exploring a move to Puna as well. We have a blog (link below) where I have collected a lot of information and links. Feel free to explore and see if you find anything useful. I read regularly here and have found all kinds of good information. CityData is a good source or information and I have even found things searching google images, flickr and youtube. There are some good books on TBI and the Puna area I can point you to as well (they are referenced on the blog as well). Everyone will tell you not to buy anything sight unseen and that cannot be stressed enough. Anyway good luck and perhaps we'll be neighbors someday soon.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
Hawaiian Beaches is like the anti-Oahu!
Why do want to live in HSRE, because it's cheap? Why not Oahu?
The lifestyle will be nothing like what you've experienced.

Rural, rural, rural...
I mean, it's great for people who want that.
Just don't pick Puna for the prices; pick Puna for Puna's substance. Or you might hate it.

I would be more optimistic if you started out complaining about Oahu, like, I love Hawai'i, but Oahu just isn't my thing, too crowded, too urban, I hate white sand beaches ... [Wink]

There are no beaches that meet the conceptualized image of a Hawaiian beach anywhere within a 3 hour drive -- at least not without trekking. There are alternative beaches and ocean entries. You have to get over every postcard image and fall in love with something completely different!
HSRE has private water, paved roads, mail delivery, cable, many newer homes, pool, etc...check it out.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR