Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ironic headline
Damon, congratulations on your blog, you put a lot of work into it.

I wouldn't get too excited by those Wordpress rankings, though.
For one, it only counts Wordpress blogs and two, they're using a
"special formula" to calculate the listings.

Still, 1500 visits a day is quite an achievement!

**Edited to correct the number of visits. Still impressive, though.
Kapt,

I agree with you, the Herald Tribune does not have enough local news or local writers for that matter. It is owned by a mainland conglomerate who does not care about the community or even quality journalism. It is really sad. Today's paper only had two articles written by staff on the front page, though all but one were stories about Hawaii. 90% of this paper (other than sports) is written by mainland AP writers who get their work put into a big pool for anyone to dip into.

The food section is completely embarrassing to me as a food writer. Only Audrey Wilson's weekly column is local, everything else is always 100% mainland and much of it has no real relevance to what our lives here are like, let alone the bounty of foods we have locally and the importance of staying sustainable and local because we live on an island. Even the governor is trying to support and encourage sustainable living when it comes to food sources and the paper cannot even cover that story except as a side note to another article written by an AP writer.

I have an issue with just cancelling your subscription though, that paper is supporting our economy at the very least and a community our size with no paper is a BAD thing, a sad thing in fact. Declining subscriptions only make it a worse paper. Their should be a way to voice our opinion, like a week where everyone who has an issue with the paper and still has a subscription makes a one week “vacation hold” for exactly the same dates, a boycott of sorts. This would voice our dissatisfaction as well as our disdain and the effect that we would have on the economy of the newspaper if we did all decide to abandon it.

While blogs are terrific and online sites are great, a newspaper has the greatest source of information about a community that can be found in one place. Now if someone were able to truly create a virtual local paper, it would be wonderful, but nobody has a budget or the time it takes to do all of that on their own.

quote:
Originally posted by kaptkimo

We recently dropped our "Herald Tribune" subscription. The Newspaper just didn't carry enough local news, mostly AP and Stephens Media pap that was available sooner and better on the net. I learn much more from the local blogs and keep them all bookmarked. Add in Google News, Drudge, Fox news, Yahoo, etc. I'm pretty much covered. Craigslist, PW Non-classified, & Freecyle round it out.

Just last week I was talking to two different people at Pahoa elementary who have recently dropped their HT subscriptions.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Dave...

Trust me... I don't rely upon press releases!

They get sent to me... I put them up.

90% of the ones I put up... are put up at least 24 hours before they even go on the county site....

How do I know... Because I receive the information at the exact same time.... and I watch for when it's put on the counties site.

I've been begging Mr. Bishop for the last 40 some days now to get the county site up so I don't have to print any releases!!!

It's not my fault the counties web site is archaic.

It's also not my fault newspapers are unwilling to give the public the exact words as they come from the sources and they pretend to write stories up sometimes.... ala BIC.

I won't do that... my blog... you get the release... and it even states MEDIA RELEASE. If it has been released already on the internet I will link it...

But as I say... 90% of the time... I RELEASE COUNTY or STATE releases...it's because they have been sent to me directly and I simply cut and paste them onto my site...(with a little clean up at times) (No... I don't go back 8-16-48 hours later after it has been posted on the counties site and then link the URL to the counties page).

Remember dave... I'm not a journalist... I don't research most of the stuff I blog about. I go to events I'm interested in... and write or blog about them.

The rare times I do actually research something... is if it's something that I just don't believe at all or just sounds too strange to be true.

In truth... I just surf the net... see things that interest me... and put em down in my little online diary that is open to the public. Yeah I go to a lot of public things... but should that stop me from writing about them?

I've always felt that everything and anything is worth blogging about... I just don't feel like putting everyone to sleep with it on my blog at times.

I guess that's why I have my "Myspace" page.... that's more for just putting everything and anything down.... or actually NO TWITTER is the place to put everything and anything.... (I'm just glad I'm not a breastfeeder... why do females feel the need to tweet that they are about to go breast feed to the world?) [8D]

Dave... Yeah I spend a lot of time on the computer all day... but not much time at all on my blog.... that's for sure. [Wink]

Damon Tucker's Weblog
..Journalism professor Ann Auman prefers the print edition but many of her students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa are looking online for headlines.

"There were 20 students there. I asked them, 'Where do you get your news?' And only four of them get the paper at their homes," Auman said...

http://tinyurl.com/crbwt5

It's not dieing... but it is fast[Wink]

Damon Tucker's Weblog