Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
emergency communication 101
Since I had such success asking here about mead making supplies (6 gallons are now bubbling Wink), I am gonna give this a go as well:

Is there someone (or organization) on the east side who I can play 20 questions with about short wave radio--specifically cb? It's one of those relatively esoteric subjects which is hard to get a handle on from the net. Given the recent thread on cell phones in cars, I'm guessing some of you can set me straight.

A home base CB with sideband and serious antenna would appear to be enough (for back up communication) but I have no idea of distances involved considering the local topography. We live in an area with no cell phone reception rouchly facing Chiclayo, Peru across the Pacific. Wink Is there any practicality to a CB home base in Puna? We are between Leilani and Kalapana and I would be bummed if I found out there I can't even reach Leilani, much less Hilo on a serious cb set up. And further, wondering if there is anyone even to "reach" in this area in an emergency, short or long.

It appears such set ups have given way to ham operations, but the entry price/learningcurve appears at _least_ three times higher for the serious ham vs. the "serious" cb sideband.

And we rarely get more than a few years out of complicated electronics inside our particular microclimate anyways. Am I better off with a crank up Red Cross radio from HPR? Wink

Am I making my confusion clear?

Cheers,
Kirt
skip the cb and get your ham license. there are 2 meter repeaters all the way around the island and a very active amateur community B.I.A.R.C.
Yup and some of the repeaters have a phone patch if you need to contact a non-ham person.

Here's a link to the practice tests for an amateur radio operator's license:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
So a Galaxy DX 2547 with SSB wouldn't overlap enough with ham bands to be useful?

What would be the utility differences between cb w/SSB and a full-fledged ham operation?

The test don't bother me--it's the huge difference in overhead that makes me wary. And looking over the repeater list on the BIARC website (thanks!) makes me wonder if I live in a coverage puka. We live about a mile below the steam vents which makes our line of sight blocked severely.

I guess it's time for me to get hold of "Ham Radio for Dummies"...Wink

Cheers,
Kirt

I guess I should just show up at a BIARC meeting, but I see the next one has no location yet...
cb isnt compatible
your best bet for a 1st step is some of the guys give a(basic ham )technician class. the biarc meetings are often at the keaau community center ( just remembered i havent payed my dues ).
you can get a 5 watt portable for about $100. and there are very few spots on the island where you cant reach a repeater with one
Thanks Seeb!

Time to do my homework...

Cheers,
Kirt
Curiosity here...

What kinds of conversations are allowed; meaning CB radio style/anything goes or is there a specific decorum that must be maintained? I realize that ham requires strong use of call signs, but other than that, what is OK?