Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traffic Fatalities - Not counted!
Not all traffic accidents are on "County" roads but "private/subdivision" roads and large properties; some of these accidents tragically end in a fatality.

Why does the "Honolulu Advertiser" include the following?:
"Because the crash occurred on a private road, the death is not counted toward the island's official traffic fatality count."
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...0313020/-1

By not reporting/counting these accidents - it gives a FALSE statistic of the ACTUAL occurrences.
These statistics - I think - are used in ALL kinds of reports for funding transportation/safety issues.
It also gives a FALSE sense of security to the public.

How do we change this?

Should we change this?

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
Probably because funds for roads(Fed state and county)are determined by "bodycounts". And an addition of subdivision would have to include farm and ranch roads, mining roads etc.. Thus, where some subdivisions are county accepted and probably do count. Some aren't and aren't recorded as such.

The question is do we want to get our roads up to par per subdivision or not. If not, death will be recorded as accidental.
Gordon J Tilley
I’m sure the county does count all fatalities from motor vehicles. If you were driving your car on your property and rolled it and died, it will show up as a motor vehicle fatality causing a death. But it may not show up as a motor vehicle accident on public roads and highways. A private road is the same as a grassy lawn on private property. The government does not have to accept scrutiny for fatalities on roads they don't have control over for the reasons gtill stated. I'm not sure exactly how Hawaii County handles it, but many mainland departments will list fatalities and accidents on public roads as the main primary reporting item, and list fatalities and accidents on private property as another just to separate the public issues from private property issues. The draw back is insurance companies want those numbers included so they can raise the risk (and rates) in an area.
On the subject matter... of wrecks and counts.

Only the wrecks that cause an injury or more then $3,000 in damage is actually recorded on the H-130 reports that I have received.

What this tells me, is the number of actual accidents is probably much higher then what is being reported.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
County roads are maintained by public funds while private roads in subdivisions are maintained by funds paid by the property owners of those subdivisions every year.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html