Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping Information
I have been asked about shipping some "In the original boxes" Ikea cabinetry. Anyone have any insights on the best way to do this?

boxes are relatively flat, and there are about 3 of them taking up about 3/4 of a square meter. They will be coming out of the bay area.

Mahalo for your ideas and information!

Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam, If this is something you've purchased online and need a best price on shipping you might try these folks.

http://www.uship.com/shipping/furniture/?r=2304

I don't have personel experience with them yet but plan to give them a try in the future. Included is an article from The Wall St Journal about the site.

Aloha HADave

"Families are like fudge mostly sweet with a few nuts"

Edited by - HADave on 08/03/2006 10:06:38
Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

We had thought about getting Ikea products to Hawaii, but since they often arrive with some damage and there's nowhere to go to make it right, we've decided against it. And since they don't ship to Hawaii, it's not likely that you can get them to help you out. We did ship a dismantled 12-drawer unit in our container, and it made it in good shape. However, I don't think these units are designed to be dismantled.

If we were to try this, we would have a good friend on the mainland open the box to make sure that the item was not damaged, repack it, pack it into a sturdy box, then have a shipping company take it. Or, have the shipping company pack it, so that they would insure it, and then send it. I imagine that this would be expensive.

Les C

Edited by - Les C on 08/04/2006 23:01:54
Another thing to be careful of with Ikea furniture is that much of it is made with press board. I hear it doesn't do well in a moist environment if the lamenate is damaged.

We brought a desk over in our container. It's doing fine so far...

Robin

Robin is right about the pressboard issue. We have had some cabinets disintegrate into sawdust over the years. You should also know that pressboard is often labeled in Europe as MDF. So if your Ikea product says MDF, it is likely pressboard. Plywood, on the otherhand, seems do do fine.

Aloha,
Jerry