Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese Points of Interest?
My sister-in-law is nesei (sp?) -second generation Japanese-- and will be coming to the island in October, with my brother. Her parents were both Japanese (they met in a concentration camp in California) and she has maintained an interest in that part of her heritage.

I would like to be able to point her to asian points of interest in the Hilo area. Of course, the entire town displays a distinct Asian influence, but I was wondering if there are particular places that would be of interest to those of Japanese ancestry.
Glen: (it's Nisei, btw) I suggest that you think of the 'cultural' (in the sense of imbedded in the Japanese culture) rather than the shopping experiences as first choices. Botanical gardens like the one in Onomea, Nani Mau, Akaka Falls, etc. are all of interest. We don't have folk villages per se, but there are several small towns that would be interesting from a historical perspective (Pahoa Village? [Smile]) The farmers' markets for handcrafts and fresh produce are also likely to please.

-dwajs
-dwajs
Glen, some of the Shinto and Buddhist temples are not only architecturally and decoratively interesting, but often have Japanese social activities and networks for their congregrations. You might want to contact some of them to see if they will be having any ceremonies, festivals, or other interesting things going on during the visit. Most of them welcome respectful visitors, regardless of religion, and some even promote attendance at their activities in the media.

Cheers,
Jerry
OH Glen, too bad they won't be here the last weekend of September:
http://www.bigisland.org/calendar/1284/h...i-festival

1. Queen Liliokalani Gardens; a must see

2. Puna Hongwanji Mission in Keaau is a must, plus they have Taiko practice every Tuesday & Thursday late afternoon

3. Check out the Lyman Museum programs http://www.lymanmuseum.org/

4. Check out the East Hawaii Cultural Center for their October programs http://www.ehcc.org

5. Check with the Japanese Chamber of Commerce in Hilo for any events that are not on the normal Calendars of Events (I posted many of the ones I use a few times in the past)

6. UH-HIlo - theater & students & classes & such

ETA:
7. The Hawaii Japanese Center was mentioned by a neighbor, http://hawaiijapanesecenter.com/about/
That's a lot of great advice. There are some very fine looking missions and temples in the area. There's one on Kino'ole that's especially attractive architecture.

For restaurants
1) Restaurant Miwa in the Hilo Bay shopping center is very authentic and most patrons are Japanese.
2) The cultural center/restaurant that is right at Liliu'okalani Gardens, has many photos on display. As the gardens are a must do, it is convenient.
3) Nani Mau gardens (already mentioned by David) is a Japanese garden, Japanese run.

There is a Hongwanji serving Papaikou at the Hilo side entrance to the Onomea scenic route, and there is another in Honomu.
as a whole Glen, I have found "Katonks", not that interested in their homeland culture. Other than their terrible experience ithey suffered at the hands of the American Gov. at the start of WWII. They are really quite different than the local Japanese from Hawaii, and extremely different from their counterparts from Japan! Sadly to say, they have allowed their mainland up bringing to water down their own culture!
I would just show them places of interest that you know your brother would enjoy. Chances are, since they are together...their taste are alike too?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Thanks so much, David, Carey, Jerry, Kathy and my HPP neighbor, Beachboy. And yes, my brother was fortunate enough to marry a wife who is also a best friend. They are wonderful together and like the same things. As for me, I have always hooked up with beautiful enemies. Trying to break that habit!

The ideas are lovely and I think I may want to visit some of these places on my own. I was completely unaware of the Nani Mau gardens and the East Hawaii Cultural Center. You guys are great and I can't wait for the day when we are truly neigbors instead of just virtual neighbors.