Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best beach for keiki on Hilo side
Have some friends visiting with 2 kids. Where would be the best beach to take them? They are pretty tough Hawaiian babies,just visiting from Kona side.No fears of the ocean! Still pretty new to the area and not sure what is best for the lil'ones. Thanks
how about onekahakaha. a family friendly beach with picnic areas.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

I second Onekahakaha for a great ocean swimming pool experience clam water almost always, lifeguard with full view, steps down, sand & lots of picnic areas
For a little more water adventure, with a calmish area and mostly shallow & sandy bottom - Carl Smith is good, but has no beach area.
Richardson can have a little more water action (rarely current) with a smallish beach by the lifeguard & a cool water area out of lifeguard view that offers a black sand beach area at low tide. This ocean park has one of the prettiest shallow coral areas, but does take effort & know how to get to.
For a large stretch of fine sand, the Hilo bayfront has one of the least used (except by canoeists) fine powder black sand beaches (You will hear many tales of the water quality that do not stand up to the testing that has been done on the water, if you stay out of the breakwater areas during & after heavy -Hilo Heavy- rains, the water passes all state & EPA water quality tests) the perception that this water is not 'clean' has persisted, even though paddles are in it daily.....
i had forgotten about the hilo bayfront area.

what about coconut island? there's some shallow areas for swimming (guess that depends on the tides) and steps going down. haven't done it myself, but have seen others. nice picnic areas and clean bathrooms.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Onekahakaha is a wonderful park, but the last time I went (took my grandson), the water seemed much dirtier then it did a few years back. My neighbor went in swimming with a cut or scratch and she got a staph infection (on her leg). Normally she swims at Richardsons or Carlsmith, just the one time she switched it up. (She swims most every day.)

re the Bay
>>> the water passes all state & EPA water quality tests) the perception that this water is not 'clean' has persisted, even though paddles are in it daily.....
I know they do but I also talked to a mom whose son paddles who was getting a mystery rash, so not to say everyone paddles without any issues.

Anyhow, Onekahakaha is a very cool place but the water felt yucky on my skin. Probably worst in the shallows. I would shower right soon afterwards.
yes, coconut island does have a nice swimming spot for kids.

canhle
canh Le
Thanks everyone! We went and had a great day at Onekahakaha! Perfect place for the little ones and big ones.Would like to check out Carl Smith one day soon too!