Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need gravel
a big post-turkey aloha to all!
We are trying to make a lanai out of our carport & wondering where to go to get gravel delivered to Leilani. Area is 16x20 but only need around 15x15 covered. Any suggestions on who to call or how much this will cost,would be much appreciated.
mahalo,Gigi
Aloha
I don't know the cost but we've used Bryson's in Pahoa.Their number is 965-8218.
There are two companies in the area selling sand, cinder and gravel. Sanford (965-8144)and Brysons (965-8218).

Your area of need is small and depending on just how thick you want the gravel you appear to need at least 2 cubic yards. The problem is trucking. A dump truck can hold much more than that and the driving costs would exceed the gravel costs.

If you have access to a truck or van or trailer you can acquire the material yourself and haul it in yourself.

I did this by buying about 1,000 pounds at a time of fine 3/8" gravel from Glover in Hilo (961=2864) and making a few trips home occasionally. A pickup can be loaded by machine. A van needs to be shoveled by hand. I figure 8-10 pounds per shovel full. Each load cost me about $25 not including gas - but I was driving into town anyway each time.

Gravel is not cinder. Gravel is crushed stone. Gravel is cleaner generally and lasts longer. For home driveway use most people buy 1/4" gravel. The larger the gravel size the cheaper the gravel. For areas used for foot traffic I prefer the finer 3/8" material. It costs a little bit more. Grover had a minimum $15 charge for small loads.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
What about PunaRock in Keaau?