Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Speed Internet in HPP below 16th
I am looking for a service to get high speed internet to the area of 13th Avenue between paradise and Makuu. Anyone know of a service that provides here? We were told that Time warner has stopped at 16th, and even the phone company says they have "no more band width" so they won't hook up DSL. Replies appreciated, and you can reach me directly at 310 562 0362. That is my mainland-based cell phone which does work on the site. Mahalo!
John Maloney
johnmaloney3@me.com
Hawaii Architect AR8082

Call hawaiiantelcom again and ask them to make sure that you qualify for dsl, then clarify with them about he issue and ask them if they are just out of ports on your dslam. likely you will beable to get dsl on your loop and the dslam is full. If this is the case you need to call hawaiiantelcom every single day in the morning and ask if you can get dsl. one day someone will move/cancel/notpay and a port will open up on the dslam and you can get it. they do not have a waiting list or a line or anything so you need to be the first to order in your area (i dont know the dslam arrangement for hpp) and you win.

persistence will pay off. It can take 30-50 days of calling daily but you will get it,

quote:
Originally posted by John the Architect

I am looking for a service to get high speed internet to the area of 13th Avenue between paradise and Makuu. Anyone know of a service that provides here? We were told that Time warner has stopped at 16th, and even the phone company says they have "no more band width" so they won't hook up DSL. Replies appreciated, and you can reach me directly at 310 562 0362. That is my mainland-based cell phone which does work on the site. Mahalo!

We are on 6th, HPP, between Makuu & Paradise, and have hawaiitelcom DSL (since ~4yrs ago).

I'm not a tech whiz. Find it interesting that they say "no more bandwidth". Anybody want to tell me what that means and what it takes for them to overcome it? ...in non-techno-speak.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
When we were in Orchidland my husband did the daily calling routine and we got hooked up in about 3 weeks. It was a pain, but after the first week he was on a first name basis with all the staff on the receiving end of his calls and they held the spot for him as soon as it opened up. He was always super nice and friendly to everyone he spoke with, but he still kept calling every day. The one time he missed a day because we were in Kona they teased him about missing his call!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

We are on 6th, HPP, between Makuu & Paradise, and have hawaiitelcom DSL (since ~4yrs ago).

I'm not a tech whiz. Find it interesting that they say "no more bandwidth". Anybody want to tell me what that means and what it takes for them to overcome it? ...in non-techno-speak.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

That means there are no more ports on the dlsam. This is the box they hook your phone wire to provide internet. The puna subdivisions have low density dslams hence not a lot of ports. I managed to get a 7 Meg port for my house. Got 3 Meg and called daily till I got a 7 Meg port.

I believe it depends on how close you are to Paradise.
I'm on 5th between Macu'u and the end of the subdivision. Been trying for 20 years to get either cable or DSL. All the calling in the world didn't help. It's still either dialup, or a line of sight wireless service that is down more times than it's up called AWS (Ain't Worth ****).
Didn't you guys take this into consideration when you bought your property? It certainly was among the criteria in our purchase,. along with distance to a police station, fire station, hospital and cell service.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Devany - a lot of people moved here before there was broadband anywhere so it wasn't a consideration at all. Whether you lived in Hilo, Puna or wherever, it was dialup. My only consideration in that respect was whether my house would have a party line (i.e., shared between a number of houses) or a private one.

HawaiianTel, Verizon before that and whoever was before Verizon (I forget) kept making promises about extending DSL once it was available on the island and I'm not surprised to learn that these promises are still not being kept. Three years ago I enquired about DSL service to my place, was told I was "qualified" and that an engineer would be in touch. After a week of no contact I called them and they told me that DSL wasn't available in my area (Kaloli Point, HPP). I wish I knew then what I just learned in this thread.

Incidentally, I've ended up with Verizon mobile broadband which works well but isn't cheap ($60/month) and the 5GB monthly download limit can be a real gotcha.

Tom