Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH seeks to extend traffic laws on private roads
CoH seeks to extend traffic regulations and enforcement into private subdivisions.

While a County Council Bill is being prepared by Dominic Yagong to create a grant-in-aid mechanism to aid in the maintanence of private road systems in Hawaii County the Kenoi Administration (I am told) is the initiator of HB2020 which would extend county traffic regulations and enforcement on to private road systems.

Both of these efforts seem practical and sensible to Friends of Puna’s Future (FoPF) and we will be testifying on behalf of both efforts.

Rob Tucker, President, FoPF

HB2020 [http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session201...B2020_.HTM]

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. Section 46-15.9, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsection (a) to read as follows:

"(a) Any provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, any county and its authorized personnel may impose and enforce traffic laws and shall enforce chapters 249, 286, 287, 291, [and] 291C, 291E, 431:10C, and 486, part III, on public streets, roads, or highways whose ownership is in dispute between the State and the county."

SECTION 2. Section 46-16, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:

"§46-16 Traffic regulation and control over private streets. Any provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, any county and its authorized personnel may impose and enforce traffic regulations and place appropriate traffic control devices, and may enforce chapters 249, 286, 287, 291, [and] 291C, 291E, 431:10C, and 486, part III, on the following categories of private streets, highways, or thoroughfares, except private roads used primarily for agricultural and ranching purposes:

(1) Any private street, highway, or thoroughfare which has been used continuously by the general public for a period of not less than six months; provided that the county shall not be responsible for the maintenance and repair of the private street, highway, or thoroughfare when it imposes or enforces traffic regulations and highway safety laws or places or permits to be placed appropriate traffic control devices on that street, highway, or thoroughfare; provided further that no adverse or prescriptive rights shall accrue to the general public when the county imposes or enforces traffic regulations and highway safety laws or places appropriate traffic control devices on that street, highway, or thoroughfare; nor shall county consent to the placement of traffic control signs or markings on a private street be deemed to constitute control over that street; and

(2) Any private street, highway, or thoroughfare which is intended for dedication to the public use as provided in section 264-1 and is open for public travel but has not yet been accepted by the county."
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Although this bill will certainly be useful for the sake of clarity and public awareness of legalities, there is considerable precedent for enforcement of traffic regulations in private subdivisions, particularly in HPP. We in the HPP Neighborhood Watch have called in the police on numerous occasions to cite ATV violators, and the police have even set up speed traps in our subdivision, although far less frequently than we might hope. Citations issued in HPP have been given the usual process by the county legal system.

Having said all that, I applaud any measure which brings our private subdivisions into a more fully functional relationship with the County. Thus, I support this bill and will urge my peers to do likewise.

Cheers,
Jerry
And so how are they going to fund all of those patrol people to actually enact this new law? Right now coverage is completely in adequate and I do not see hiring forging any huge increases. Same Old Same Old if you ask me. It sounds like in HPP (private roads) the police have already tried to enforce the law with little actual achievement.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

And so how are they going to fund all of those patrol people to actually enact this new law?....
There won't be any new patrol people. This law effectively approves/makes legal what has already been going on. It will make it harder for someone to fight a citation based upon the offense having taken place upon a "private road".
quote:
Originally posted by Devany

It sounds like in HPP (private roads) the police have already tried to enforce the law with little actual achievement.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

I beg to differ on this, Devany. In those areas where we have active Block Watches calling in reports on ATVs, there have been decreases in use noted by our Block Captains. In some cases, police have even visited the homes of habitual and flagrant violators (small children, extreme speed or recklessness) to read them the riot act. Achievement is in the eye of the beholder. By saying that we hope for more speed traps, I did not imply that no progress was being made.
can anyone, with any sense on this board not read the manipulation of language right in front of your eyes:

Traffic regulation and control over private streets

and by the way this is not a "County of Hawaii" bill, this is HRS and statewide.

This is a fail. Live on county roads if you want to have a police force that enforces road rules, otherwise, as far as i was aware the hawaii state constitution says:
SEARCHES, SEIZURES AND INVASION OF PRIVACY

Section 7. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches, seizures and invasions of privacy shall not be violated; and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized or the communications sought to be intercepted.

Now stopping me on a PRIVATE road would be a seizure of my person on private property without a warrant.
sounds like a lot of people did not do any due diligence when they moved to/purchased property in HPP.
"the police have even set up speed traps in our subdivision, although far less frequently than we might hope"

I totally agree! [^]

Heh - Honey! What's that blinking blue light behind us? OOOOOOPS! [V]