Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
El Nino and Catchment
For those of you considering Catchment versus County water, check out the article on the front page of the Tribune Herald today, "El Nino is back". Another variable to consider. (Was going to post the link but today's edition isn't on line as of this posting.)

Aloha

Tim

Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think that what I have to say has more lasting value.”
Robert Pirsig
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
wouldn't it be great if we had a drought like in 1998 the last el nino? i wouldn't mind buying a tank of water if i had to.

Mmmm...yes, sunshine is lovely...however droughts plus tradewinds plus the tiniest of sparks can add up to some devastating brushfires, yah?

http://starbulletin.com/98/02/18/news/story4.html

In regards to the catchment-question, a huge roofline (even on a tiny house), along with gutters all the way around, and a good sized tank will certainly help.

Something else that folks do is to have the overflow on their catchment tank feed their pond. When the drought comes, they can pump water from their pond (instead of their household catchment) and water all their precious thirsty plants.

(Plus! In the event of a killer brushfire they (or the helicopters) can dip into the pond.)

---Malolo

Edited by - malolo on 09/28/2006 09:39:59
wouldnt having a pond in your yard attract and give a breeding ground for mosquitos who carry another set of problems?

Just add fish. I've got 3 small ponds on my place full of guppies and barbtails that I never need to feed.

We're willfully watching our water level rise in our catchment tank. Hopefully, we'll be 10K gal. full by the time the winter rains possibly don't happen as much as normal.

Les