Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yipes! Honokaa businesses getting hammered
From the Tribune Herald:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal01.txt

A sewer project, expected to last another fifteen months, is putting companies out of business in Honokaa. Roads torn up, parking displaced, customers avoiding the area is really having a heavy affect.

I am amazed that the scale of the project (Honokaa is a small village similar to Pahoa) will take another fifteen months. Add that to the bad economy and not many can survive the stress.

My best wishes to the Honokaa merchants.

I am reminded of a story about the Hilo bridge over the harbor entrance on Bayfront. I wasn't here for the event but was told it took longer to build than the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco (it would not surprise me if it cost more too).
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I am reminded of when a new sewer and water, in the 1960's, was put in for the small town (Wingo) in Kentucky nearest to our farm (it was the nearest Post Office and location of the School).
Utter chaos with ripping up of streets.
In that case, unlike Honokaa, visitors were not a major source of retail custom and there were not so many other alternatives for places to go shopping.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
We saw this mess up in Honoka'a just a couple weeks ago. It is a HUGE traffic snarl right smack dab in the middle of town, and not just vehicle traffic either. Makes it extremely difficult to even walk through. Very bad planning on somebody's part. I feel bad for the businesses going out of business.

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."