Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
building codes, pottery studio
I'm thinking about buying land in Puna to build a home that would also serve a a potters studio. I'd like to do the building myself, possibly using stone, reclaimed wood, bamboo--whatever is available. My kiln might be electric or wood fired, but I suppose there might be restrictions on burning wood. In general, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about restricitons on what sort of structures can be build, with what materials, and any restrictions that might limit operation of my small-scale "industry." Would I need commercial zoning? Would I be okay if I used electric (no smoke) and kept things low key? Thanks for your help.
Bruce from Pittsburgh

Hi Bruce,

I'm also planning on moving to the Puna District and building my own home. I do know that many homes, especially above 2000', have wood stoves to take off the evening and morning chill, so I would think that burning wood in a kiln would not be a problem. Also, there certainly must be others in Puna who are potters. You might do a search for one or more and contact them for info.

Patrick K
Fairbanks, Alaska

There is concern of starting wildfires - easy to do here - so you can not burn garbage outdoors here for instance

A chimney screen would be a must to prevent cinders from becoming airborn

Building your own home is legal here - many do it with varying materials (bamboo deteriorates however) - you do need a permit and there is growing local govt enforcement re unpermitted building

I would make a shop (just say it is a shop) and after the final inspection then move in your equipment
Pat and Makai:
That's for your comments. They were helpful. Lately I've come to the conclusion I'm wasting my days working jobs I don't like to buy things I don't need. My goal is to untangle myself from the corporate web and live a life closer the what Thoreau described in Walden. From what I've read, particularly on this website, Puna might be the place. Seems like I might find some sympathetic souls there. I guess my concern was that building codes might steer me back into the corporate economy (sheet rock walls, mowed lawns, and the rest.)
Pat: I have a daughter who lives in Haines, AK, in a yert. She's starting an herbal tea company (wild Alaskan herbs.) Some of her friends winter in Hawaii, so she was quite excited and supportive when I told her of my plans.

I share your thoughts, Bruce. I will live the Simple Living concept on the Big Island, probably buying some land near or above 2000' from Mountain View to Volcano Village. I'm a cool weather person so will want to avoid being to warm. Have you been following the current thread on Konaweb about simple living and what it costs to live on the Big Island? I'll have 30K per year and no debt and it will be easy for me to live there. I'll be looking at being off-grid and having solar hot water.

Patrick K

Bruce,
This is just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off with an electric kiln. The cost of wood might be costly unless you go around collecting it yourself. You could always power the kiln with solar power.

Good Luck in your venture!

Ron
Hawaiian Shores

Aloha,
Ron (Happy_Haole)
Aloha,
Ron (Happy_Haole)