Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outrigger Canoe Racing
Mahalo Greg for bringing this up on the "social Networking thread"

From Greg:
I (and my ohana) long been involved in outrigger canoe racing, and highly reccomend joining a canoe club. The Big Island Canoe associaton (MOKU O Hawaii) has a dozen or so clubs scattered around the island. It consists of over a thousand paddlers from ten years old to senior citizens, and from novice to experienced paddle junkies.

If physical activity isn't your thing there are plenty of volunteer roles to fill in the staging of regattas.

There is a regatta season from May to September that culminates with a State Championship Regatta held alternatly on different Islands. Regatta season is followed by a long distance racing season that ends with the famous Molokai Hoe from Molokai to O'ahu. There is also a "one man" canoe association and season that is just ending.

The reason that Paddling is such a great social networking venue is the fantastic diversity of people engaged in this hawaiian cultural practice. from Tongan Doctors and nurses to Ha'ole stone setters(or is it the other way around?) They practice, race, and party as one family. Most clubs are starting to practice now and welcome novice paddlers. If one club has their novice crews filled out, you can generally move down the beach and find a seat.

If there's a drawback, it's that the East Hawaii scene is centered in Hilo, at Bayfront. If you work in Hilo, it's easier, but if you have to commute from Puna it can be more of a commitment than some people can handle. Practices are typically three times a week pau Hana, with races on saturdays at Hilo or Kailua/Kona.

Puna Canoe Club is the current state Champion (AA) and is located at the Green boats at Bayfront. Puna originally paddled out of Kalapana, and like all the Big Island Clubs use a beautiful Koa Canoe for racing that is like paddling a living artifact.

Check it out.

I wanted to start a new topic thread on this sport/activity because I'm very interested in trying this very competitive social sport On the BI and would like to hear others experiences with outrigger canoeing.

Greg, Considering we are a year a way from moving, what types of exercises can I perform in the gym to prepare for paddling?
As far as the solo rigs, where can you purchase one of those and what is the typical cost? I live near a lake and a few rivers, I might try one of those out here in Atlanta...
Has the Puna club ever considered moving back to Puna?

Mahalo for all the information ya'll can provide on this topic.
Aloah, Tony
Atlanta/Kapoho

PS. can someone tell me how to properly cut/paste/post someone's post. Thanks
Tony,

Training? Any extended aerobic workout will help. There is a lot of technique involved in modern paddling. It's not all arms, but includes a lot of twisting and lower body work also. Kind of like planting the blade way out front and pulling the boat forward with your abs and lower body. Of course, depending on who you talk to, styles and techniques vary.

Outrigger paddling has become popular on the mainland and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a club near Atlanta.

East Hawaii Paddling links:

Puna Canoe Club
Big Island Association
HIPA(one man)

"One man" canoes are fo shizzle! I wish I could afford one. They make two seat boats also. They're car toppable and you're not restricted to other folks practice schedules. A good carbon Fiber racing canoe will be extremely light and expensive. Plan on spending 3000-4000 bucks.

A heavier, more sturdy glass canoe or older used boat will cost 1200 and up.
If you're using it for training or pleasure, it doesn't need to be super fast.

Puna moved to Bayfront from Kalapana twenty years or so ago. That's where they eventually became a large club with 200+ paddlers, a great kids program, and a Statewide powerhouse. Because of the flat water and centralized location, I don't see the club moving back to Puna although they may again someday sponsor a Long distance race out of Pohoiki.
Greg,

Afa still doing the Pohoiki race ... Not on the HIPA calendar but still suprised you do not know this.

POG,

Yes, Afa is still doing the Pohoiki challenge, but It isn't a Puna Canoe Club event. The "Pohoiki Challenge" one man race is sponsored by Afa and Bev's kamaili Nursury.

Pog, you paddle? I don't get to all the regattas anymore, but would like to introduce myself if I see you there.

Puna used to sponsor a six man race out of Pohoiki. It originally ran all the way to Kaimu; Then it started and ended at Pohoiki; Then for a couple of years started at Pohoiki and ended at Hilo Bay. Too much of a challenge for most of the westside Clubs. Now Puna just sponsors the regatta at Bayfront. Imua Kalapana

edit; Please people, don't be misled by the "One man" or "six man" classifications. I'll bet there are more women who paddle than men.