Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT&T frustration during power outage
My wild guess is that the tower you use doesn't have a working generator. Power goes out and the next tower has to pick up the calls and gets overloaded so it prioritizes to public safety and 911 calls.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

My wild guess is that the tower you use doesn't have a working generator. Power goes out and the next tower has to pick up the calls and gets overloaded so it prioritizes to public safety and 911 calls.

This probably part of the answer. While you may have ATT service, if you are closer to a competitors tower - which they have a sharing agreement with, you will go through the tower with the stronger signal. If that stronger tower, which is a ATT competitor, has a need for their own customers to make a call, YOU get bumped off.
It happens with us in Nanawale. We have T-Mobile and we are always roaming on the ATT tower. We get a lot of dropped calls. The new T-Mobile that is almost complete in Nanawale should solve a lot of problems.
We keep the Hawaiian Telcom stuck-to-the-wall phone just because it's still working when most of the cell phones aren't. It also has a much better call quality and never drops calls. For twenty bucks a month, we can chat all day without draining batteries, getting dropped calls and we can call folks when the power goes out or through most of the other disasters since the power to many of the cell towers has troubles in emergency situations. We also have the cell phones for long distance calls and for when we are out and about. We've considered dropping the land line, but it's a better call quality and more reliable so it is still here. Considering the cost of the cell phones and the land line is about the same as what we used to pay for just the land line when we had to pay for long distance charges having both is pretty good.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I agree. Well worth it. With a landline you can even be online during a power cut!