Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescues at Kehena & Kaimu?
The ocean has been really big and unforgiving lately. I heard a second hand story about a rescue at Kehena, and even worse - 2 drownings, a swimmer at Kehena and a surfer at Kaimu this week. I haven't seen the paper and I wondered if anyone knows if this is true. Either way, it is always a sobering reminder to respect the Hawaiian Ocean.
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
This was on the Hawaii Trib website...
--
Published: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:52 AM HST
Man is presumed drowned

Fire Rescue personnel plan to search a third day for a 33-year-old Pahoa man who disappeared and is presumed drowned in waters off Kaimu Beach.

Eight units, including the county's Chopper One, searched Tuesday for Paul Jason Currier, who disappeared while bodyboarding shortly before 4 p.m. Monday. Both county helicopters aided in the search Monday afternoon.

Witnesses said Currier appeared to be in distress near the Kalapana Village Cafe. He then resurfaced face down in surf approximately 30 yards from the point where he was last seen before disappearing again in the whitewash.

According to a written Fire Department statement, Currier, a carpenter, artist and father of a 5-year-old son, was bodyboarding in dangerous high surf.

Police said Tuesday night that Currier is officially classified as "missing."

The search, which was suspended at dusk both evenings, is set to resume today at dawn.
--

The ocean is a powerful force...especially on the Puna side.

TeddOnBass

---
Life is the only thing worth living for...
---