Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Hikes on the Island under 5 miles RT
So, you know, sometimes people say to me, "Glen, what are some nice hikes to take on the island? We like to walk. We do have some limitations -- we can't clamber, but only walk. We don't want to spend all day doing it, but maybe a morning or afternoon. It would be nice to have something to hike to -- a nice destination, like a beach or a natural feature, or it would be nice to enjoy something interesting along the way like something steamy, or twittery, or green or wet."

What do you suggest?
Volcano Arts center has a wonderful old forest walk out back of the center, as does Kalopa St. Park
A more of the beaten path hike is the old tree planting rd, either from Stainback or Saddle
An enchanting beach hike is around Kiholo Bay with the ancaline ponds
Most of the Volcano NP hikes are wonderful
Lava Tree has been opened up to a wonderful hike (without the worry of albezia limbs falling on you)
Isn't the Petroglyphs hike / walk < 5 miles ??

Don't know the name of the park and walk trail that drops down from Onomea. If you took the "Donkey Trail" down from next to Botanical Gardens ( a nice walk themselves : ) you could link up to it and come up. Maybe Kathy can tell the distance in to trailhead. Spectacular views and nice suprise @ the bottom.

Quick and EZ:

Tons of short trails out to waters edge and along it everywhere you turn in.

Not too strenuous on body, wallet or even the planning stage is the zoo.

Cannot get much prettier views than from the gardens in town IMO.

aloha,
pog
Just FYI....Lava Tree Park is closed until around Dec. 13th. Looks like they are repaving the road in and the parking lot. Hooray!!
Yes, just tried to go to lava trees yesterday... It's closed.
Ed
The hike to Shipman Beach isn't too tough if you stay inland. Easy to get lost & have to climb around rocks if you stay on the shore part of the hike. The beach there is awesome.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
At VNP: Kilauea Iki loop hike after you have done the lava tube thing, sulfur banks walk just past the Art Center parking, first mile of Mana Ulu trai (sometimes a telescope is up there pointed at main eruption), Petropglph trail. A walk along the Honokohau Beach park as far as you care to. Also, Pololu Valley as long as its not too muddy and you are in good shape.
Waipio to Waimanu Valley and back in the same day.
;-)

Seriously though, the walk out to Kaimu beach and back is nice and brief.
I second the Kilauea Iki loop trail. I loved it. It's a bit of a climb out of the crater, you get winded.

Real easy trail for early in the morning (for the birds) is Kipuka Puaulu, just a little ways up Mauna Loa road, past the turn out for HVNP.
Personally, Rob, I would walk much further than that for a nice view. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try to compile them for my interlocutors.