Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CU Hawaii Debit Card Problems
Just a word of advise. If you are a CU Hawaii Account holder and see a notice on their web site that they are going to upgrade their banking system; Per their supervisor whom we just spoke with they put a $200. limit on your debit card during that period, and there is no number you can call on the weekend to find out whats going on. This past weekend they did just that which for us, with weekend shopping meant, we hit the magic 200 limit with absolutely no advance warning. They had a notice on their web site advising about the system upgrade, You would only know about the upgrade if you visited their web site, nothing in the mail and not one word on the web site about this 200 limit. Meaning if for example you drove to Kona to Costco and tried to buy a TV on your debit, you would have wasted a trip.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
quote:
Originally posted by DickWilson

Just a word of advise. If you are a CU Hawaii Account holder and see a notice on their web site that they are going to upgrade their banking system; Per their supervisor whom we just spoke with they put a $200. limit on your debit card during that period, and there is no number you can call on the weekend to find out whats going on. This past weekend they did just that which for us, with weekend shopping meant, we hit the magic 200 limit with absolutely no advance warning. They had a notice on their web site advising about the system upgrade, You would only know about the upgrade if you visited their web site, nothing in the mail and not one word on the web site about this 200 limit. Meaning if for example you drove to Kona to Costco and tried to buy a TV on your debit, you would have wasted a trip.

dick wilson

Since Costco's TV's are higher priced than Wal-Mart or Sears in Hilo, they saved you money. (I just spent a week looking)
DickWilson: Just a word of advise. If you are a CU Hawaii Account holder and see a notice on their web site that they are going to upgrade their banking system; Per their supervisor whom we just spoke with they put a $200.

ME: Wow! Thanks for the heads up. We went very austere this week end. Gas and Starbucks, total expenditures: 50$.
However, on Thursday evening I received a phone call from the ATM service center verifying with me that we'd done 3 transactions in 2 days on the internet! The weird thing is, the last transaction was to purchase software and the transaction was declined moments before the lady called from the ATM center. I verified that I'd made those debit charges and asked why they'd declined the last one...'it was to verify that someone had not stolen my card!' Nice going! I never got my software. The company kept showing the card declined. Even the next day. I kept checking to make sure the amount hadn't been approved 3 times but it was never approved EVER! I don't know what that was all about.

Is CU Hawaii having some sort of trouble?

Toni, who is a 'critter lover'
www.write-matters.com
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
All of the credit/debit card servicing companies use special analytical software that understands your typical buying habits and will flag something that is out of the ordinary to help prevent fraud.
Toni, once you spoke to someone at the card service center, they should have lifted the hold and let the charge go through. CU Hawaii, like most smaller financial institutions, farms out their card service to another company, so I suggest you call someone here in Hilo who manages that relationship. While is is possible that the second and third attempts were due to something at the vendor's end, it seems more likely that the hold was not lifted properly. I appreciate the card companies' efforts to protect us, but I wish they would all use the "call center" prompt at the vendor's terminal instead of "declined." I worked for a while at a company that accepted cards, and we knew "call center" generally meant security questions and not an over the limit situation.
CU is undergoing some sort of account changes - just don"t ask me to explain them.

ETA - received an email referencing them today

There have been notices on the internet portion or many weeks, I didn't respond so during one trip to the main branch, I was asked - again not sure how they affect me as I don't use their debit card.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident