Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of the “Humane” Society
Lucy, the link you posted came up with a warning error "malformed ID." Would like to see the page though.
The Hawaii Island Humane Society is a separate and distinct organization from the Humane Society of the United States. From the HIHS's latest newsletter:

" Although the names are similar, the Hawaii Island Humane Society is in no way affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States. Donations made to the Humane Society of the United States are never funneled to Hawaii Island Humane Society. We are two completely separate and distinct organizations independent of one another. If you want your donations working for you here on Hawaii Island, then donate local, donate HIHS."

And while I can't speak to HIHS's effectiveness as the Animal Control contractor for the County, I can say that they were most helpful, sympathetic and accommodating when our beloved Tipper passed away earlier this year. And they recently enabled us to adopt the newest member of our family, Makana, a sweetheart of a pup who makes every day an adventure (and most times, a good one). Every story has two sides, and we've been fortunate to only know the good side of HIHS.
Yes, but Rich, your good stories only reinforce that the HIHS may be good with dogs but it's not with cats. Pets are pets; both species should be treated humanely.
Folks should differentiate between the officers that work at the Humane Society and the people who actually care for the animals and try to save them. I personally know a few people who take on quite a burden finding fosters on their private time and of course, fostering many themselves. It is heartbreaking everyday for some of the techs there.

It should also be remembered that, ill mentalities aside, there is little in the way of laws in the State of Hawaii to protect animals and animal rights.
Sadly many mentalities won't change, but laws(enforced) can be a helluva deterrent.
It is also a shame that so many people are breeding cats and dogs, seemingly oblivious to the problem here.
rasman, the only people Lin was discussing (or that I was discussing) are the HIHS officers. There are many people on this island working to do good things for animals, all sorts of people, but that's not the topic here ...