Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HECO union employees give 48hr strike notice
My electric company in Ohio where I spend the summers is a Coop.No executives,no bonuses ,7.5 cents per kw hr.
The power users own the company.

The PUC here has lost their way.

No more pass through rate increases would be a start.

Executives at Helco and the rank and file should go through a pay cut !!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Is there any mention of executive pay or bonuses for HECO? I've never really heard of corporate executives going on strike for wages or work conditions....

When I worked in a Fortune 20 company, management wages were reduced 10%, and then we were given the opportunity to "earn back" our former salaries as bonuses (which were reduced over time). Pensions were frozen or eliminated. Twenty five percent of all management employees were let go on a single day (albeit, with generous severance package) and three years later the vast majority of these positions had not been reopened, so those left behind had a dramatically increased workload). Management holidays were cut by 10%. Management employees lost their full medical coverage and were required to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to buy their restructured medical coverage. Meanwhile, union members protected by contract maintained most of their existing benefits, including no-cost medical coverage, as well as job security.

Management employees cannot strike because they do not have the same contractual protections as union members. All they can do is put up with it or leave to find other employment.

I'm not suggesting undue sympathy for management - they get paid higher compensation and they have different work-related stresses. But to suggest that corporate cost cutting is being foisted solely on the backs of union members is inaccurate. In my experience (and my knowledge of other companies in my industry) management employees are the first to be hit, and the impacts on individuals were more severe. I know first hand, because two years ago my own job was eliminated...
quote:
Originally posted by TrevorKane

Ummm... Kapahocat, I think the number you are looking for is $333...

It's really hard to do anything for line workers by deflating CEO salaries - CEO salaries are actually somewhat scaled like that- he's costing every working in the company a cup of coffee a day - in the worst cases it's a latte from Starbucks.

Unfortunately, without strikes and unions, it's really hard for common workers to negotiate anything.

In this case, it's a shame they're melting your ice cream to make a point.

You are right! It was too early while I was doing my math! Mikewj emailed me to correct #. ETA: Based on Carey's # it would be $781 per employee which might fund a slightly better med insurance premium per year for them.

As for the ice cream, it was just a point. We lost a freezer full of stuff. My neighbor lost her computer. There was more to it than ice cream but I was just trying to be funny. When i called the Helco claim office, they said if it was found not to be their issue they dont pay the claim, i.e. tree falling on line.

Edited to add: http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/SummaryQuote.asp?symbol=HE&selected=HE

KeauuRich You read the issue wrong.. it is NOT tiered wage (they already have that) it is tiered raises... a field union employee already gets tiered wages & those employees in the field with the same job type as an office worker (Customer Service is an example) may also get hazard duty pay. The office worker will start out lower & will have lower POTENTIAL percent raises

Obie, there was nothing in the article about any actual raise being offered, it seems just the potential, in the future.

Rob, I have never heard of unionized management...

ETA typo...
I am retired from a public utility company. Two tiered wage scales generally mean some people doing the same job will eventually be payed differently. And if any future raises are based on "percent" they will fall farther and farther behind. We have lost so many middle class jobs because they were union jobs. The more they weaken unions, the more the money rises to the top.
Peace and long life
IBEW union workers have ratified the contract. Strike has ended/