Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Container rates
I just got a quote for a 20 foot container from our home in Puyallup, Wa., to our place in HPP of $2975.We would do the loading and unloading. But the only way I would do that is if I brought my motorcycle and my wifes scooter in that container also., And they specify "household goods only". I've got quotes to ship my Harley-Davidson Sportster of about $1400.00. But that's to truck it to San Diego and ship it from there.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Strange..when we shipped via Matson from DC, they had no problem with us putting a car in the container (as long as proper protocols were followed). We didn't end up doing it, but it was part of the plan for a long while...
Can anyone help us to find someone that can move a 20' container for a reasonable price?
We need to move it only about 100 feet.
Please call Bruce or Jennifer @ 808 982-9294
Please please, listen to my logic. I rented a 16 foot Uhaul and took boxes to the post office and mailed them parcel post. It was about a thousand dollars from Austin Texas. There is no need to have a container delivered here! Seriously! I even sent an oversized twin mattess that I folded in half and ductaped. If you have "priceless family heirlooms" please get here and then decide if you want to ship them then! The moisture here will ruin such things anyways.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

Please please, listen to my logic. I rented a 16 foot Uhaul and took boxes to the post office and mailed them parcel post. It was about a thousand dollars from Austin Texas. There is no need to have a container delivered here! Seriously! I even sent an oversized twin mattess that I folded in half and ductaped. If you have "priceless family heirlooms" please get here and then decide if you want to ship them then! The moisture here will ruin such things anyways.

Oh, I think someone might want to seriously evaluate their personal situation before accepting that statement on face value Smile

My 20fter contained a brand new tractor, brush hog, tiller, box blade, land rake, phd, backhoe, large variety of tools, bedroom suite, starter household items, PV solar system, some clothes, building material, and a bunch of other stuff. Still have the 20ft container, most of the other stuff and net shipping was about $3k. Seriously doubt there was a more cost effective way. YMMV Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I agree with David...if you have anything big to ship (think furniture, lawn equipment, etc.) or will have to spend big bucks to replace big things here (think furniture or any number of things), filling a container and sending it all at once can start to be very attractive very quickly. It all depends on how much you want to bring, and it usually ends up being "all or nothing." If you bring almost nothing, then USPS can be a real cheap way to go. But once you reach critical mass, it can be cheaper in the long run to pack a container to the gills with everything you think you might ever need here. Replacing wastebaskets, brooms, pots and pans, etc. etc. etc. adds up quickly.
I agree about the tool, tractor, solar savings possibly, but what I see most often is people bringing things like "grandmothers quilt that she sewed" and this type of stuff just doesnt last here. As for trash cans and brooms etc- people might look into having the previous tenants "sell stuff cheap" and leaving it in the rental. That's what I did. I actually bought curtains, trashcans, cleaning supplies, diningroomset, entertainment stand, shoe racks, a corner desk, a couple small tables and lamps, and some "pantry shelf things" from the previous tenants. I had to ask the landlord of course, and it's not "standard" but the entire lot of stuff cost me about 300 and was well, well worth it. All I really needed was beds for the kids upon arrival and I brought those mattress toppers in boxes from walmart on the plane for that. BUT I shouldnt even have brought those. Could have just bought them here on arrival. It is sad for me to see people who "shipped over their whole lives" and then dont have the money to go and visit grandkids as much or whatever, and then in a few years- have to ship it all back.