Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County credibility takes a hit - trash hauling
County credibility takes a hit - trash hauling

In today’s Tribune the County of Hawaii takes another hit to it’s credibility.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/sect...unced.html

Rather inexplicably, at a public discussion in Kona last week, Mayor Kenoi is quoted as saying:

“There’s absolutely no decision about trucking rubbish to Puuanahulu. … There is no plan by myself as mayor to truck rubbish to Puuanahulu.”

But at the precise moment Mayor Kenoi made that public statement the CoH had in fact been trucking rubbish to Kona for three months.

Deputy Director of Environmental Management Hunter Bishop, when asked about the lack of disclosure, is quoted: “That question was not raised.”

Hunter Bishop is expanding his reputation for delivering misleading information and one has to wonder just why he was hired into the Mayor’s staff at all.

This is just another brick in the wall of distrust between the county and residents of the Big Island.

From the Trib:

quote:
The department’s responses only further irked Pilago. He said he is going to direct the legislative auditor to audit the department.

“Just because you have people competent at spin-doctoring, you should never do that,” Pilago said.

End quote.

Speaking of the Legislative Auditor’s Office.... which serves as a valuable watch dog over county operations.
Did you know that under the Kenoi Administration the Legislative Auditor’s Office budget has been reduced by approximately 75% over the last three years?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
When was the last time anybody from the county told the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Isn't County credibility an oxymoron?
To a large degree it is. I have however been consistently impressed with some of our council members. Especially Dominic Yagong who has taken some hits for defending Puna's interests and Brenda Ford who is extremely astute and a defender of people's interests.

Dominic has been the primary supporter of finding a way to make fuel tax money available to help maintain our privately owned/publicly used roads.

Brenda recently found out at council that a woman living near the Puna Geothermal Plant had been trying for four years to get relocated. There is a fund for that. Brenda said "Get Bobbie Jean Leithead-Todd in here", which they did, and suddenly the resident's application for relocation appears to be unjammed.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Good examples ... and I have to say that I think a lot of good things are going on in this County. A lot of community involvement, a lot of responsiveness from some people in office. As you know, I don't live in Puna, but the Hamakua people are really very interested in the constituency.

I was more being cynical about the Mayor and his circle. I still see the old boy network playing out there.

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I was more being cynical about the Mayor and his circle. I still see the old boy network playing out there.

Thank you, Kathy, for pointing out this important piece of the picture. For those who think there is no old boy network, think again. If you look at Billy Kenoi's campaign supporters and financial contributors, they are the same unions and developers, many off-island, who have been backing the status quo in Hawaii Island politics for decades.