Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sending flowers to mainland
I am looking for a good place to order tropical Hawaiian flowers to have sent to the mainland. Any recommendations?
Thanks.
hawaiideborah
We always used the florist down by the airport in Hilo. Very nice.
We've sent through the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens (http://www.htbg.com/) and from Hawaiian Tropical Flowers (http://www.hawaiian-tropical-flowers.com/) -- both have been good.
There is a large flower packing shed right behind the Greenhouse Specialties company on Hwy. 130 in Keaau.

They have massive flowers and can pack, inspect and ship.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
HD: Our Puna favorite for orchids is Asia Pacific in Kapoho. Healthy plants and good prices. 965-9570

-dwajs
-dwajs
You can also have your own flowers inspected & shipped overnight....the airport ag station does the inspections...bring ALL packing materials & flowers with you.

ONLY worth it if you grew them & want to send your home-grown love, otherwise, go with the pros.

This has worked out for us...with a caveat... everything must be completely clean, with no excess moisture around the leaves & flowers AND totally bug free (we have had reject due to an ant on the tissue, and discoloration, egg, slime, mold/mildew will get rejected...) Best to send non-buggy, long lasting flowers, (anthuriums & such)
There is another inspection station over by Tyke's Laundromat in Hilo. Go to the corner and there will be a state building there which has the ag station inside. They will put red stamps on the package so you can mail it. We get flowers from the farmer's markets and mail them this way.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
EXCELLENT.
Knew I could count on you guys to come through with a variety of suggestions.
I will probably end up using them all over time, so I have made a saved file of these posts.

Carey, I would love to send some of my own flowers and will get that together for a great friend who I will send to in the summer. Appreciate the tip

Hotcatz, I like the idea of picking my own flowers and sending them. Especially getting them from the Hilo Farmers Market. Also, love the tip about the in town Ag Station.

David, I am not looking for orchids for this particular friend, BUT I am always looking for orchids for ME.[Smile] Thanks for the referral. I will check them out for sure.

Rob, I am going to go check out the flower packing shed. That sounds great to pick out my own flowers and have them packed right there. The best of both worlds. Thanks for that.
Where is Greenhouse Specialties on Hwy 130? Do I go there and drive behind it? Can you give more specifics on finding it? Thanks.

Rich,
BOTH of the links you provided are wonderful and just what I will use when I have last minute gifts that I can't spend time doing/picking out myself. These places are great. This is the ticket for Mothers Day. Thank you.

BradW, Where is the one you use by the airport? location please?

Thank you all so much for coming through for me, yet again.
hawaiideborah