Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - Need Quiet Place to Rent
Aloha fellow Punatics!

Now that we've finally made it back to the Big Island, we are in desparate need of a quiet home. My son's pretty noise sensitive, is a computer programmer, Webmaster, etc. and like many computer geeks sleeps when he's done working, often in the morning. We've soundproofed here, and with some insulation Carey gave us (thank you again Carey!) have actually blocked out much of outside noise. However, we have downstairs neighbors (duplex) and the man is hard of hearing, hence TV's and voices boom, and without insualtion between floors, it gets loud up here.

Anyway, we lived here, in this same house, around 12 years ago, and it was very quiet, but things have changed - duh. Lots of construction going on too (as throughout much of Puna), one and two houses away and 6 dogs in very close proximity, with
three that bark sometimes for hours. We're in
Ainola on a 1/4 acre lot shared with two other families. And other houses really close. And honestly, I miss sitting out on the lanai and just hearing the breeze in the ohias and palms, and the birds. That's what I remember.

The coqui here due to her nursery I guess are
actually louder than Lava Tree Park. A friend of mine came by who has lived in Puna a long time and commented on this. And when we drive home at night from the hot pond, we are amazed at how less loud the coqui sounding driving past LaveTree lol Anyway the coqui are NOT a big deal to us.

The things is we also need cable Internet hookup or if it's affordable and as faster
T1 (for my son's game server, which he's making some money at now). And the other thing is we have 3 cats, albeit well behaved, outdoors most of the time, neutered and all very sweet. We use Frontline and keep our home clean.

We're both very, very quiet (other than my son's occasional rant at his computer)
My income is steady.

If anyone knows of a rental that would be quiet, that is not too close to other houses or lots set for construction, that has cable access or if we can afford T1 and that allows pet, please email me. We pay $1,000 here rent, but were used to paying $1200 on mainland.

Thank you,
Cindy
cindy@coconutroads.com

http://www.CoconutRoads.com
"Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"
PS. I should have added that I know there's not
going to be 100 percent quiet all the time.
There will be dogs barking, roosters crowing, etc. It's just that where we moved back, not realizing the changes, is in such close proximity to constant noise.

My landlady says I should look at Hawaiian Acres, but that kinda scares me, and I was thinking more HPP, Leilani,
Volcano Village, Kaumana, etc. Anywhere quiet with cable (unless T1 is a practical option).

My son was very leary about leaving Oregon, and I so want to make this work. He's homeschooled, is a good kid. He's very shy, and going to the hot pond (he's a water puppy) has been sooo good for him. But if I can't find a place he can work and sleep in relative peace, I'll have to make do on my promise to return to Oregon, since I did promise this if things don't work out.
Please let me know if you have something that
might work for us.

Thanks again
Cindy

Cindy
"Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"
Aloha, Cindy. Sorry to hear of your struggles. I have to say I was surprised by the noise level when I moved in two years ago (Hawaiian Beaches), and I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood. I'm still surprised today. I sometimes think it's just a cultural thing. At the risk of offending, I'll just say that Hawaiians are louder than haoles. Dogs, music, quarrels, parties, cars, just about everything, and it's always outside. In Oregon, you got to enjoy the benefits of windows that close and insulation - not the case here.

Have you considered doing a search for roommates? I'd bet there are folks who would love to give this place a try but just couldn't make a go of on their own. Might be worth a try.

Cindy.
The Tribune-Herald shows a number of rentals in Volcano that meet your price. It tends to be quiet up here. We get great broadband access through Hawaiian Telcom. Not sure if that meets your son's needs. Cable internet is available on some streets.

Here's what the Tribune has today:
VOLCANO MLE new 2/2, no pets, refrences, $1,100/ month. 967-7309

Volcano Royal Hawaiian Estates 2/1.5, $700. RSM, Inc. 217-8023.

VOLCANO Sunny side, 4/2, washer, dryer, $1,200/ mo. + utilities. Available 4/1/07, 99-1807 Uluhe Way. Open House 3/24, 3/25, 8:00am- 5:00pm. 1-808-263-2796 before 3/16. 967-8511 after 3/15.

VOLCANO SUNNYSIDE Golf Course Estates 3/2.5 single level, W/D. $1,200. (808)967-7223

VOLCANO VILLAGE 2/1. Charming forest home, wood stove, hard wood floors, carport. $950/ mo. + util. No pets, no smoking, 808-937-5621

VOLCANO- Exquisite 3/1.5, Studio space, covered lanai, landscaped half acre. New appliances. $1,300. Big Island Land Co., Ltd. 640-6787.

Good luck.
Robin

Cindy,

your son is gonna be upset! There is no T-1 lines on the Big Island at all! But you guys might wanna try living in either HPP or Ochidland if the Big Island is your choice. HPP is right off the highway going to Hilo, it's very convient if you need to go to Hilo often. There is DSL throughout most of HPP, and even CABLE down by the beach where the "Rich and the Shameless" live. They paid the local cable company to bring it in. So if you move near the beach in HPP you can probably get CABLE. I currently have DSL thru Hawaiian TElcom, but I'd much rather have CABLE. Having used them both here in Hawaii I can tell you CABLE is a lot faster! But if it's for online gaming, DSL should work okay for your son?

Cindy, your son builds web pages? Perhaps I'll have somw work for him when you folks move here. Keep me in mind.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!