Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Safety Meeting at Leilani Community Center
I am sure there are more than 2 sides to this story, but there is and HAS been a problem with problem dogs in Leilani, and other areas of Puna...and I am sure that all of the dog owners that have had their dogs in question would feel one way on this issue, and anyone who was involved on the receiving end of a dog bite incident would feel another....

It could be that the opposite side commentators were involved in earlier dog incidents like the 4 dog attack that was mentioned in the MAY Leilani newsletter... I am sure if you had 3 of your 4 dogs removed because they attacked, you may side with the owner & not the person who got a dog bite & whose dog was ripped up pretty bad (btw: Luna is a friend with our Kiko & the attack did change her way of approaching other dogs including Kiko, so I am sure it was not a 'minor' incident for the dog....or Joel)
The May incident is touched on in this newsletter:
http://www.leilaniestates.org/documents/11MayBOD.pdf
Based on my non-Hawaii experience with law enforcement, I would say some form of professional courtesy is universal. The idea being that the officer whose family member has committed the error is given an opportunity to address the problem within the family. These free passes are not endless and repeated errors are generally not treated as lightly. This professional courtesy has, in my experience, been limited to incidents where there were no victims other than the State. An incident where "professional courtesy" is extended where there are victims is IMHO not professional courtesy but police corruption and should not be tolerated. If the Police Chief tolerates that behavior then the Police Commission needs to act. If they won't, then the politicians tho appoint the commission need to be made aware that their political survival is in jeopardy.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.