Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help me with this Hawaiian greeting
It may also help to understand the traditional Hawaiian greeting custom of "trading ha", in which 2 people gently grab each other behind the neck and touch noses, sharing their "ha" or life force. There are several variations of this and as a newcomer you'd never be expected to know how to do it - but if you are at least a bit prepared you'll know what's going on if they do this. (It's a great honor). It's also a Hawaiian custom to properly greet each and every person in the group, looking them in the eye, hugging etc, no matter how long that takes before moving on to grab luggage or whatever else. Kind of a way of emphasizing that the relationships are the most important thing. Best of luck and Aloha.
quote:
Originally posted by dayna

It will be Steves co workers, the people who live and work here, greeting him.

They are so excited to have him come work with them, they've made all of us feel very welcome.

So Carey, you are saying Alaskan gifts would be what we would bring? Such as Native Alaskan food and/or Crafts? For us that would be Salmon, game meats, Ulu Knives, bead work, etc.

I can't believe we'll be there in about a month or so.

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork

Salmon would be nice but how you are going to get it through the ag inspection?
Since it's more than a professional lei greeter welcome, I agree with the rest of the crowd. Be gracious in receiving their aloha when you arrive, and then once you've settled in, have them over to your home. A good meal and fellowship goes a long way here. Small gifts from Alaska would also be a nie touch at that time (along the lines others have suggested - small Alaskan crafts, unique food, etc.)
quote:
Originally posted by laniA

quote:
Originally posted by dayna

It will be Steves co workers, the people who live and work here, greeting him.

They are so excited to have him come work with them, they've made all of us feel very welcome.

So Carey, you are saying Alaskan gifts would be what we would bring? Such as Native Alaskan food and/or Crafts? For us that would be Salmon, game meats, Ulu Knives, bead work, etc.

I can't believe we'll be there in about a month or so.

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork

Salmon would be nice but how you are going to get it through the ag inspection?

There was no AG inspection for it when I came down in December and brought some to the Christmas Parade. I asked and they said it's packaged processed food and it's fine.

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Aloha Dayna and Steve: Congrats on the job and being able to move to the BI! It wasn't so long ago that we met at the Christmas parade and shared goodies including your delish salmon. I'd bring small gifts to be shared at a later date.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james