Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic - Just refuse?
http://www.ted.com/talks/dianna_cohen_to...ution.html

Two things happened - I took the recycle back last week from our house and our jobsites. It started out because everyone else said they wanted it (the recycling $'s) but kept being left there. I made $24! But the important part - I asked the recycling atttendent at Atlas where it all went. I have asked this before of my SC pal - it didnt seem right to ship all our plastic etc off island & even out of state. Doesnt that increase the carbon footprint? Anyway, he told me most of it went to China.

Then I came aross this post from http://earthlust.com [Disclaimer: shameless promoting as my hanai son works there] about Diana Cohen speaking on plastics on TED.

Diana Cohen suggested adding REFUSE to the 3 r's of reuse,recycle and repurpose.

My question is how do you all reuse and repurpose - I am not just talking about glass jars holding food, or wine bottles into candle holders but what novel ideas do you do?

and what about the idea of Puna refusing plastics?

Couldnt you see the headline "Puna - 1st plastic free town in the US"? (I know it is a far-fetched so I dont need anyone to tell me it wont ever happen). But what if we did say to Island Naturals - glass no plastic.

Just some random thoughts

VERY TIMELY - HELCO & KTA are having bag trade offs around the island starting this week: Friday at the Puinako KTA from 2-6 - bring in 3 plastic bags & get a re-useable shopping bag (up to 3 re-useable bags per person/visit) We have used reuse shopping bags for sooo long that I had trouble teasing out 9 plastic bags that were not totally decomposed this morning... but some of my reuse bags are well over a decade old & starting to show the wear & tears of over-use!

We reuse most plastic containers (including yogurt & ice cream containers, chip & cereal bags, cheese & meat packages, clamshell boxes, plastic & paper to-go cups & the like) to pot up plant seedlings that sprout around our yard.... but the plants in this yard usually out-produce our plastic container consumption to the point where we have asked people to trade empty containers for containers with plants....

Downside is the non-seedling times we do have a stock of what most people think of as junk! & our seedlings are in what most people think of as junk.... but I could not bring myself to buy those plastic potting cups & bags when I had them at home in the recycle bin!
http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/

just my little plug... We really strive to refuse plastic.

William DeBoe
Palm Beach, FL

Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai
Mahi 'ai 'Ulu
Hi all,

I like the idea of refuse. Require places like Walmart and Target to have bins in front of their store where you can put that irritating packaging plastic. Of course, that begs the question of getting them to do something appropriate with the contents of the bin!

An example of making good use of plastics for a nursery... when we started the nursery production here we bought a whole slew of plastic pots, plastic shuttle trays, and azalea pots. I estimated that we'd get 3 rounds (18 months) of use from the 3" pots used for rooting cuttings. We're going on 6 years of that activity, and have not purchase any more. When we pot up, we wash the "used" pots in a bleach and soap solution, and reuse them. We are only just now starting to see some of them split down the sides. At that point, they go into the general glass/plastic bins at the transfer station. We also sell a fair number of that size to people who prefer rooted cuttings to more expensive plants. The same scenario for the azalea pots -- some have been used many many many many times! As that is our primary selling size, we have had to purchase more periodically (yeah!)

The shuttle trays are more problematic. If they sit in the sun for any length of time, they get distorted and the pots don't fit in the holes very well. They also seem to split more easily, as you're carrying 6 azalea pots in them complete with plant and media.

If we can differentiate between things that prove very reusable and durable, that would be good. It's the trash stuff I dislike. If the pots were not 1,2 or 5, I'd be searching for alternatives! We've got the cloth bags (bags of bags) in each vehicle, and I've gotten really good at taking them into the stores with me. They are also easier to carry if the store doesn't load them down too heavily. I for one, am in favor of the plastic bag ban.

Jane
So what are the stores doing with the plastic bags that are turned in? Where do they go downstream [pun intended]?
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

So what are the stores doing with the plastic bags that are turned in? Where do they go downstream [pun intended]?

Not sure about here but on the mainland a lot go here.

Trex is one of the largest plastic bag recyclers in the U.S.

3.1 billion recycled grocery bags were collected for use to manufacture Trex products in 2010.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to recycle our bags on island by having a plant next to PGV that would utilize the waste heat to make decking ??
quote:
Originally posted by Obie...
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to recycle our bags on island by having a plant next to PGV that would utilize the waste heat to make decking ??

LOL. You are a card! I just spit my tea laughing at that one!

You know though you are poking the bear as some will not appreciate your very dry wit. [xx(] (about plastic mfg next to PGV.)
Cat

I was serious[Smile]

Lost my head and forgot where I was .

Back to your original post,my Wife and I recycle throw away plastic water bottles.You know the bottles that come in cases and people on this island haul home by the millions ?

We have never bought water in a throwaway bottle.
We keep them when they are offered to us at public functions and keep them,refill them from the faucet in the kitchen and then refrigerate them.When they finally wear out we recycle them.
I once reused one small plastic water bottle for over a year as my drinking water bottle when I went to the gym. I never buy bottled water.
I also hate styrofoam. Places like the Panda Chinese restaurant in Hilo use for instance. I've always heard it takes about forever for it to break down.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
We too use plastic water bottles for water for a looong time. However, when the interior starts to look cloudy, it's time to recycle it and get a new one. From what I understand, the cloudiness is a result of the plastic starting to deteriorate. So, yes we buy water in bottles, but just two about twice a year.

Jane