Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keonepoko Elementary School
My son will be entering kindergarten this fall at Keonepoko Elementary. Does anybody have any experiences they can share about the school? Good or bad? Thanks.
Only have good to say about the staff
They have been great with my son
My wife does reading tutoring there under the no child left behind program. She actually works for an agency on Maui, and not directly with the school as an employee. She just started there during the last session and will be back in August when school starts. She hasn't made any comments about the school itself.

jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I had two girls who went there until last year. The teachers and staff were great. That being said I think kindergarten and 1st and 2nd grades were okay. After that is was a negative experience.

Too many problems caused by children coming from dysfunctional families and when kids got older it spilt over into the the school. Had severe bullying problem. My kids look local and the youngest born here.

They now attend HAAS REAL and the difference is night and day.

I have been a Keonepoko parent for 19 years (minus two years between the last two children). Most of the staff is great but you always have a few that yell too much. as a parent you can complain to the principal if this becomes a problem for your child. they have incentives to help children behave and some after school programs. there seems to always be a bully at some time or another so it is important that you talk with your child and tell him/her to tell you and a teacher whenever they have a concern or complaint. safety is a number one priority and children are not allowed to wonder around campus. school t-shirts are mandatory this year and there are two colors to choose from. 14 years ago my son had some problem with being bullied but it was taken care of in a timely fashion. my youngest daughter has been a student there for 5 years now and she has had no problem with other children. just complaints about some teachers yelling too much. if you would like to be involved in school activities and ideas please join the PTSA. it is $10 a year and meetings are every other month. (sometimes more often) all in all i believe Keonepoko is a good school and i hope you and your child will have a good experience there. the only down fall is if you drive your child to school, the traffic is bad after school but you just have to go with the flow. you will receive a newsletter every month to tell you what is going on for that month. it comes in handy and has useful contact information in it. if you have any questions or concerns, you can call the office at 965-2131. Aloha

Donna
Donna
Thank you for the responses!