Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80% Geo-thermal will go to Oahu via u/w cables!
You don't deal with Helco then. You set up another company to distribute electricity and push Helco off the island.
there was an article in the paper awhile back that said the biofuel was going to cost more per Kwh than oil
That may be true in the short run. But nothing but diamonds will cost more than oil in the long run, especially oil that is shipped to an island.
Not easy, no. It is the transmission lines and the vertical monopoly that makes it quite difficult. But the Big Island is capable of producing much of its own energy, it has a low population and those two factors are what make it different. A consortium of biofuels, geothermal and wind companies could conceivably move the rock that no on else has been able to move. I agree the transmission lines are an issue. But any company can buy oil. Big Island, as a matter of policy, needs to quite enabling HELCO, period. Creating controversial energy from the volcano with no resulting reduction is rates is ludicrous and short-sighted. Why encourage geothermal if doing so doesn't lower rates and just puts money in the pockets of a foreign country?

Neither Lanai nor Big island should be selling power to Oahu or Maui. They should focus on self-sufficincy -- Lanai through Wind and maybe solar, and the Big Island through everything, including oil. Anybody can buy oil. The disparate alternative energy companies, except for the quite despicable Ormat, need to coordinate and cooperate.
Knock Helco out by taking over an outer island or two first. Difficult? Yes. Very. Impossible? Certainly not.

I think a properly constituted consortium could do it, with the appropriate policy from government. Hawaii County government should not cooperate in any power scheme that fails to lower rates for power.
Slightly off topic, however, in researching this issue, I found this document:

http://theormatstory.wikispaces.com/file...anding.pdf

It is dated, 1989, but can someone please decipher what the heck is going on, if HEI bought 50% of PGV, why does HELCO put out an RFP when the parent company is part owner of the only existing developer here in Hawaii(IF this document is accurate and the deal went through.)?

Is it just "going through the process", and awarding ORMAT/PGV all future contracts? I'm lost in this madness...Anyone? Sure would appreciate some facts with these ongoing geothermal discussions.

Bottom line question: Does anyone know if HEI really owns 50% of PGV??? Thank you.