Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leilani Estates TV Reception
I am trying to find out if it is possible to get over the air free TV reception in Leilani. If so, does anyone know what kind of antennae to use and what channels are available? Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated. I am located near the community center.
Wow... That's gonna be hard to answer since Lielani is so far out... Best bet is drive around your nighborhood and see what others are using. I wouldn't invest 100-200 on mounts, cable, amps, and antenna plus your time just to find out that the channel your interested in getting is impossible or still weak and need even a bigger investment.

Anyway! Good Luck to you. I don't know. I'm really interested in PBS. But I hear PBS is mounted on hilobay and is pretty weak. I guess anything else is just a bonus as I'm not really into network (fox/abc/cbs) TV.

Sorry to say but I think you'd be better off with sat or cable if you can get it. I live in Hawaiian Beaches (middle section) unless someone else bites the bullet and tells me they are getting PBS and a few other channels with X equipment I'm not really interested in being the first to invest my hard earned cash unless I can buy an antenna locally that I can take back if it doesn't work.
Hello, smartcarguy!

Most of Leilani is on the correct side of a ridge. Here is a link you can check out that list all the stations in Hawai`i-- the maps are better than what you can find anywhere on the internet, and you can narrow it down to street level at your location:

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=list&city=&state=hi&call=&facid=&appid=&serv=&status=&chlo=&chhi=&vchlo=&vchhi=&prefix=&apparn=&owner=&party=&ant=&antmak=&antmod=&mktid=&sort=0&arch=&expet=

You obviously don't need to check the transmitters on the other islands, and you can ignore the ones listed as "CPOFF" or "CPAPP", as those are proposed stations.

ABC, MeTV, MyNetworkTV, ThisTV, PBS, NHK, Fox, CW, and KWHE should be available. NBC and CBS may be a bit spotty in your neighborhood. Keep in mind that a VHF/UHF combination antenna is necessary,and works best when it clears vegetation (height). ericlp's suggestion to purchase an antenna with return policy is good, and is recommended by most.

ericlp, K41JT-D from Kulani Camp is the PBS affiliate that comes in very strong in Mountain View, based on my experience. PBS has Hawai'i covered better than any other broadcaster, and can be received on more than one frequency in most locations.
@ericlp

this may be an option http://video.pbs.org/

vid may be a couple ah days late but FREE
thanks gramps. Smile