Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite Big Island gift
Well my fav is `Ihilani coffee, but I'm partial. Particularly the Puna! :-)

Candi, `Ihilani Coffee
Candi, `Ihilani Coffee
I usually send one hand made trinket from one of the markets (like a wood carving etc), some ground Puna coffee (unless I know they have a grinder), maybe some local honey (something in a factory sealed jar, not that market stuff sold in used peanut butter, pasta sauce, or whatever jars) and then a bunch of stuff from the "tourist" section of Walmart. Calendars, candies, mac nuts, etc. I just get enough stuff to fill up large flat rate USPS box. When at Walmart try to find the stuff that doesn't have a Made in China or Made in the Phillipines label. Or if you do, take it off. The calendars are only 86 cents so I usually send them one of each so they can pick the one they like the most and regift or whatever the rest of them.
One of those fancy wind chimes made out of half of a coconut on top and wood chimes down below is a nice keeper (I have two at my house). Either that or something hand crafted by a local. Some of those Hawaiian cloth wraps can be nice either to wear or use as a table cloth. There's ton's of nice hand made jewelry to send as gifts or maybe a Koa wood jewelry box. Fresh kona coffee is always nice to get or even a big bag of mac nuts. If you look in some of the antique shops there usually something old but fun to send as a gift.
This is a really interesting thread. Let's say your 'ohana is/are "transplants" to the mainland. They're cravings for local "omiyage" can be quite different. Every once in awhile, we send poha berry jelly (KTA) and won ton pi chips to our friends in GA. He's a local caucasian boy born and raised on the BI and misses those things besides the obvious mac nuts and choco shortbread dipped cookies. Another friend from O'ahu always buys manju (KTA)or mochi (also KTA), won ton pi chips (from the factory behind KTA), saimin noodles and BI candies. Every island has different things that they are known for. Manapua from O'ahu, Moloka'i bread (they got shut down---so no can) etc. etc.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

I like a lot of the above ideas, but a lot of local nonprofits and local events print tees as fundraisers that are one-of-a-kinds on the mainland, with a very Hawaiian flavor. And needless to say, they benefit local groups doing good. A real win-win.

BTW - red and blue make purple, not brown. Someone didn't pass Fingerpainting 101 around here :-)
Up by the volcano entrance there is a new candy store. They use only chocolate that is grown on the big island. Great for gifts. They also sell these really neat flip-flop hot pads. Only 2 places on the island carry these hot pads. The other place is in Kona at the Kona candy factory. I know the person that makes these.

Those who dance appear to be insane by those that don't hear the music
MJ
Those who dance appear to be insane by those that don't hear the music
MJ