Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building with cindercrete on the Big Island
I've been researching the idea of building domes and/or vaults with lightweight concrete on the Big Island. This concept is not new...the Romans built the pantheon about 1900 years ago and it is still standing. It is a huge dome whose roof was party concrete and partly pumicecrete (a mixture of cement and pumice).

Since cinder is somewhat heavier and stronger than pumice I would think it would make a good building material for domes/vaults especially if adding steel reinforcement. It should also have some attractive insulative as well as thermal mass properties.

Anyone out there know of anyone who has used cinder in this manner? Where? How?

Charles,
Would this product work as a shotcrete to put on exterior walls? Are you familiar with Tridipanels?

Mix design for shotcrete ( wet mix ) and gunite ( dry mix ) is a tricky thing especaly for structural elements. you would have to get an engineer to get it past the building inspector

There is at least one company that I am aware of that is using shotcrete and an inflatable form system (domes only). They use a foam and weatherproof rubber type exterior with shotcrete/rebar underneath.

I would want to achieve the strongest curved MONOLITHIC structure so the tridipanels would not be an option.

I would be placing the concrete by hand. Exterior surface would be polished fibrous cement with weatherproof latex paint. Underneath would be the steel reinforced (driveway mesh and/or rebar) cindercrete...maybe a foot thick to provide R-19 for wall/ceiling.

Others are doing similar work. Steve at www.flyingconcrete.com has been doing this type of construction for awhile.

Another book discussing steel reinforced lightweight concrete is:

FERROCEMENT Building with Cement Sand and Wire by Stanley Abercrombie.

Unfortunately I am not experienced with building and will probably need to hire someone for help.

just a note:if you have been dealing with the MONOLITHIC DOME people in texas, i have a divit in the side of my skull from one of there targee pumps and a stupid idea one of there engineers had. so dont acept every thing they say

Edited by - seeb on 09/10/2005 11:18:03
The vaulted arch is a great idea and would be cheaper and easyer to build , but i havnt been able to find much info on design or if they can stand up to a shake

Seeb: Sorry to hear about your divit. I'm not dealing with the Monlolithic dome people of Texas but am aware of their business. Divits aside, I would avoid them because of expense, design limitation (i.e. only domes), and poor acoustic qualities of pure cement.

For what it is worth, the guy at the flying concrete site seems confident that the specs of some of his vaulted houses would be approved anywhere in the world. He is building near San Miguel Mexico which is also earthquake country.

I have found books written by engineers for engineers which are way over my head...but they are for semi shperes (domes) and not vaults, so I don't know if they would help you. If you want I can get you the names of the books. Don't have them with me at the moment.