Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping Container
Aloha!

Did anybody buy, or know someone who bought a shipping container for the move from the mainland.

I know from what everybody says I should just sell everything, but I will compromise and limit us to a 40' container.

Or was getting one ocean certified a big deal? Or any other problems we could be looking at.

Or should we just rent one?[Smile]

This is a big deal so please help me out with this decision.

So much to do....a whole lifetime of things accumulated to sell or give away. I always said the kids should have to do it after we died, but all they would do is fight over stuff. And I am going to do my best not to have much money left,

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it left...[^]

Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick

You won't need to buy or rent one. Using their container (for free) is part of the transportation cost.
Greetings and Aloha
WuzBig Grinid anybody buy, or know someone who bought a shipping container for the move from the mainland.
This has been dealt with in earlier threads, but I don't have the topic #s for you. Yes, I bought a seaworthy (certificated) container for the trip over here. Several reasons: 1) It gets delivered on the ground so no need for 4-ft ramps and struggles for heavy stuff.
2) you can take as long as you want to load and pack to your satisfaction (we made a template for the container and each large object, then played mix and match until everything fit with little slop)
3) same thing for unload, unlimited time rather than 5 days
4) then you have a storage shed, a nascent workshop site, etc. Or sell it for more than you paid, they are valuable over here.
Good luck on the move, whatever you decide. There are useful threads for help on what to bring and what to leave behind, use the search function. Think minimize.

-dwajs
-dwajs
Long story short, we brought our stuff over in a 20' foot container and had the shipping company send us one that was for sale, but we didn't have to buy it. They were happy to ship it back to Alaska for re-use, or to sell it to us. Our original plan was not to buy it. But we wound up buying a house without a garage, and we turned the attached carport into a lanai for more living space and an outdoor kitchen (thanks River Wolf) so we bought it after we got here. So if you do a little research, you can put your stuff into a container with an "option to buy" if you so desire.
A couple of the past seaworthy container threads but there are a few more (the top one is more of an education...)
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3910
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12938

Thanks [Big Grin]

I didn't know the forum could be searched, and since I found that out I realized most of the things I asked about had been well answered already. I usually pay attention late in the game[:I]

Thanks for the all personal e-mails too, I will be seeing some of you soon...[^]

Havin a Puna day here, same temp and humidity. On and off rain...perfect![Wink]

Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick