Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for container share from Los angeles
Aloha,

I'm looking to share a container from Los angeles to Hilo for the end of July. I don't have enough for a full container, so if anyone knows anyone who is shipping to Hilo from LA, please let me know.

Also, I could use some good tips about how to prepare stuff for shipping. Does the stuff get bounced around alot ?

I'm mostly shipping flat packed furniture and boxes.

www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
Check out my Exotica CD at www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
why not ship a 20 footer? just make sure to pack it as tightly as you can, all the way to the ceiling, using any soft material in the cracks, also tying it all in at intervals, and at the very end(if not all the way to the doors)tie in a couple of plywood sheets to keep it from shifting, good luck.

Cos, I won't need that much, and I'm trying to keep costs down.

Tikiyaki, if most of your stuff flat pack & boxed, have you thought about the post office parcel post. That is how we shipped most of our stuff, and if you have a priorty mail box, they will pick up at your door (as much as they can). We shipped 81 boxes, and only had damage in one, the one we had forgotten to 'pack' and had just kinda put in the box.
No matter how you ship, pack as if the boxes will be jostled, you never can tell what will happen to the boxes.

Carey,

Unfortunately, the flat package will be too big and heavy for Post office delivery...I'm talkin almost 7 ft long by 3 feet wide by about 6" high. It's a couch frame and other stuff from IKEA....it will mostly be IKEA unassembled furniture and some boxes.

And, I HAVE been warned about the particle board stuff from IKEA with regard to the Hilo weather conditions, so pretty much all of it will be their solid wood stuff, and not particle board items.

Edited by - tikiyaki on 06/20/2007 09:42:31
Carey,
Did the USPS pick-up all 81 on one day?

We are moving from AZ and shipping around 30 boxes USPS. Kea'au warned us not to ship all at once because they do not have the space. We have no address or mail box so it is going generl delivery Kea'au.

How long did it take to get there? We are told 4-6 weeks. True?

Thanks in advance - Susan

Susan
No, We shipped them over a few weeks, as we would pack a 7-10, we'd call them up. We packed heavy things like our SS Flatware, tools & such in the priority one rate boxes. Worked well for us. The most interesting thing is that almost every box arrived at the same time (4-6 weeks), so we ended picking up 20-30 boxes a day at Hilo (We had Gen Delivery there & a PO Box - if we had had home delivery then, they would have arrived here) 1 box did take over 2 months, but arrived in good shape. We used double wall computer boxes for most of our packing (benefit of computer geek hubby job), check with schools that may be upgrading or at a computer supply store...breakables were double boxed 1st box that fit with light packing (peanuts, buble wrap or popcorn type) then packed into the larger boxes.
Important Note: take a packing list Box #'s & contents with you & don't pack it in a box.... helps to know what you are waiting for....(Yup, it was in that same box that didn't get packed right....'magine that!)On the flip side, it is amazing how you can forget what you had!

Edited by - carey on 06/20/2007 15:36:07