Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to big island
There are quite a few people being sucked in by cheap lot prices. There is a lot across from me that somebody bought sight-unseen off the internet. The lady apparently came out several years ago to find the whole lot was a hole about 30 feet down from the road level. Right next to it is a lot that is mostly a mound about 30 feet high. I think the estimate she got to fill the hole would be about 35K, essentially doubling the price of the lot, making it overpriced in comparison to other more buildable lots. Then the leveling, fill, septic, electric would be about another 20K. The cheap lot suddenly becomes a very over priced lot. There are other cheap lots that are covered with albizia and that other junk tree that grows fast and huge. People are finding it costs about 7K to 12K to just clear the trees before any leveling work. And then, there is the story of the guy in the cat that suddenly disappeared, it had broken through the ceiling of a lava tube. He didn't get injured but the lot ended up being unusable to build on.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"...Right next to it is a lot that is mostly a mound about 30 feet high. ..."

That would have a lot interesting potential.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Thousands of empty parcels, hundreds of empty homes, not many jobs.
Jason, you need to listen to our bless-ed coqui frogs. You can Google the frog and listen right in your home. People on this forum have posted that their sound is up to 130 decibels but remember to multiply that by 100 or 1000.
Best advice? Rent first, try different areas.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Did you find a place? I recommend you get solicit the services of a buyer's real estate agent that really knows the area. It won't cost you anything (seller's pay the commission). I would be happy to assist you. I love the land here and have a Hawaii Real Estate License. I especially know Puna and Hilo areas as I have lived in East Hawaii for over decade and my child was born and raised here. Catherine Becker (S) Typically Tropical Properties. 808=936-0463[Smile]

Kalama
Kalama