Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Videos from astronomers
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Thank you, Opihikao, I will definitely pass on your best wishes to Pam. Unfortunately she is not doing very well at the moment which is certainly affecting my stress levels...

We're both Elton John fans by the way, so thanks for that video! Our favourite is http://youtu.be/HXP9_TmLZ7g not because it's his best song but '67 was the year I was born. Wink

Of course, he is (Sir Elton John) a favorite! (Curtsey...lol)

There is something that is quite intriguing in the stars. From the days of the old Hawaiians, and, of course, other places on earth, we "look to the stars".

There is a pattern occurring right now, and we shall see if what Kupuna taught us holds true. It always has (so far!). We are experiencing a once in a lifetime phenomenon, and dare I say; some will get it, and some will not.

It is a time of change. Mahalo ke Akua, and all those who contribute to the process of positive change. The sky has become ominous both day and night.

ETA: My JMO. lol. It is. [Big Grin]
This is an even more local video. It's about the discovery by University of Hawaii of the position of the Milky Way in a cluster of galaxies that are bigger clusters of galaxies that becomes a supercluster, forming an astronomical (pun intended) structure in space. Kind of ironic that the name chosen for this is Laniakeia, meaning "immeasurable heavens" in Hawaiian. Another example of ancient Hawaiian astronomy and religion able to describe the astounding discoveries of the 21st century. The Great Attractor is a mind blower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"Kind of ironic that the name chosen for this is Laniakeia, meaning "immeasurable heavens" in Hawaiian. Another example of ancient Hawaiian astronomy and religion able to describe the astounding discoveries of the 21st century. The Great Attractor is a mind blower."

Although the name Laniakea was chosen to honour the Polynesians that used stars to navigate their way across the Pacific, I would definitely take issue about ancient Hawaiian astronomy and religion describing 21st century discoveries. How would the Laniakea supercluster have been discovered if the heavens (sky) were immeasurable?

Incidentally, the Great Attractor has been known about for decades.
I received a beautiful poster today from the UH. It was an annotated picture of the Laniakea supercluster. The actual translation of Laniakea that was suggested as its name was included on the picture.

"Immense heaven"

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than "immeasurable heavens".